Chapter 2: The Locket

"What are you hiding!" He repeats gripping my hair and pulling my head back. 

"Nothing father Beckwell!" I whence, closing my eyes in pain. He kneels down to my ear still tugging onto my hair. 

"Your going to be in agonizing pain you filthy brute." He whispers, gritting his teeth. 

I start forming tears in my eyes as he drags me by my hair outside his office.  All the kids glance at me and quickly form a queue again.

"Stand up straight!" He yells at everybody. I look out the window hoping for Claude to be out there, but he's nowhere. It's my reflection again, my dreadful reflection. Father Beckwell throws me to a wall causing me to fall onto cold, damp floor.

"I'm not going to ask you again, what are you hiding!" He shouts making everybody jump,  I hesitate at first but then I slowly slide my hand into my left breast pocket taking out the locket, holding it against my chest hoping he will let me off .Instead he snatches it off my neck and whipped me with the metal chain.

 Everybody gasps at the horrific scene. I cover my face in embarrassment and dig my head into my knees. He started repeatedly whipping me with the locket making everybody run scared to their beds. I look through the gap of my legs watching my tears leave a stain on the wooden floor. I hope and beg for a miracle.

 There was a sudden knock on the door. Father Beckwell drops my locket to the ground and opens the creaking door. I swiftly grab ahold of  the locket back and wiped my tears away, standing up.

"This place is awfully large!" A gentleman with a luxurious dark suit laughs,  walking in with a women with a silk white jacket and feathered hat.  I stand up straight holding onto the locket.

Everybody gets out of their bed with needy eyes wanting to be picked to get away from this horrible orphanage. 

"Honey look at these children, all so well behaved." The women smiles grabbing onto the man's arm.

"Cecilia Williams." Ms Burton says with a striking look. Everybody glares and a few mutter, "she's going to be picked!"

A bright smile spread across my face. Father Beckwell shuffles in discomfort and looks down at me in disgust, he then snatches the locket out of my hands and walks toward the strange people.

"Do not give it back to her anytime soon." He mutters, walking out the room with Ms Burton. Everybody immediately starts to talk.

"You can gather your things, we will be waiting downstairs sweetheart." The women looks down at me with a smile.