Chapter 1 : The Orphanage

(Story based in 1887, before you start reading I recommend you to read what I wrote in the description before this chapter so you can get a taste of what is going to happen through out this story)

As I emerged from a deep slumber by the deafening shouts from Mother Marie, I looked towards the malnourished children lining up in an orderly queue to get checked.

Every morning the children of the orphanage are searched. Not just any type of treasure hunt search. The orphanage search for letters, they search for valuables they even search for food you might be hiding. Once a young girl came out from Mother Marie's and Father Beckwells office with bruises all over her body, it was as if she was stoned, brutally.

"Get up you useless girl." Father Beckwell shouted whilst kicking me down onto the floor as if I was a pebble in his way.
"Yes Father.." I mumble standing up straight, holding on tight to the place he kicked me on, desperate to relieve myself from the excruciating pain.

I limp to the queue awaiting my turn to be checked. I hide my locket in my left breast pocket and hope for the very best. The locket was given to me by my mother, It's my last thing I have of her,  I have of them...  Therefore I intend not to lose it... for their sake.

There were two people in front of me. I was close, It was almost my turn. I couldn't help myself but wonder about Claude...
Oh my Claude...

I turn to the window, in hope he was standing right there whispering in my ear, "everything is going to be alright."

But unfortunately he was not, instead it was my reflection, my sad, disheartened reflection.

"Miss Cecilia Williams, it is now your turn." Ms Burton exclaimed in a rude but respectable manor.

I hesitantly walk into Father Beckwells office. My breath as heavy as a boulder, I stood in front of him.

He examined me then stood up and raised an eyebrow taking a step forward.

"What are you hiding?"