CHAPTER-14 Suspicion

"He is late." said Harry, looking at his watch for the tenth time in the last one hour.

"He must have been caught up in something Harry. Relax." replied Larry.

"Yeah. I just hope that 'something' doesn't involve burying the girl's dead body." said Harry with a serious expression.

"Oh ye of lil faith." said Larry shaking his head at his partner's morbid thought.

"No seriously Larry. How do we know that he hasn't harmed the girl?" questioned Harry.

Larry looked at his partner, trying to gouge how serious he was. Harry's expression left no doubt in his mind that he was as serious as a funeral.

"Jesus Harry!! How do we know the girl is alright? How?!!," said Larry reaching towards his cell and shaking it in Harry's face. "This is how."

Harry stared at Kim's picture in Harry's cell.

"Yeah but you can't even see her face in this Larry. How do we know this is her?" he questioned.

"Oh God! If I didn't know you well, I would say you are becoming a paranoid old man and should retire." said Larry.

His partner glared at him.

"No really what is going on in that pretty little head of yours? I do see a lot of grey hair old man. Cover it up." said Larry, half-jokingly.

"My head ain't little," huffed Harry. "And there ain't any grey in this lush garden."

"Lush garden?!"More like the desert." replied Larry.

This comment was met by another glare from his already riled up partner.

"No seriously what crawled up your ass and died? You have been whining like a little girl for the past hour," asked Larry, now serious. "Why are you so against the boy?"

"I got nothing against the boy," answered Harry defensively. "I just don't like being lied to."

"And when did he lie to you?," asked Larry looking puzzled. "You have met him, like, only twice and even then you weren't very civil."

"I just ain't buying his act/ I am telling you he knows about the connection between his brother's death and the girl,"said Harry. "This is all gonna blow up in our faces later Larry. I am telling........."

"Oh no , not this. Not again,"groaned Larry. "We talked about this now didn't we?"

"I mean just think Larry. Isn't it too much of a co-incidence, him landing this job with our gang. I mean why this one and that too at the last minute?"

"But Harry he has handled such cases before. He....," began Larry.

"He says he has handled. He....,"said Harry.

"Now you ARE being paranoid old man!!" exclaimed Larry shaking his head.

"His brother was murdered by that girl's father. Even we know about it. Do you really believe he has no idea or hasn't heard the rumours?" Harry said.

"He's here." said Larry, his tone warning him to keep quiet.

Harry immediately quit speaking though his expression clearly conveyed the message that this wasn't over.

Both of them waited as Jake stopped the car and got out.

"Ain't you early." commented Harry.

Jake ignored him.

"Why weren't you picking up our calls?,"spat Harry not taking too kindly to the silent treatment from Jake.

When Jake didn't answer, Larry stepped in.