CHAPTER-13 Suspended

Mary had talked to Jason in the morning. It was evening now. She was sure Jason would be arriving soon. And he would call right after his plane would land. He always did whenever he came back from his business tours.

But the person she was waiting for so anxiously right now wasn’t her husband, Jason but Henry. She had called Henry right after she had talked to Jason and informed him about her husband’s plan, just like he had asked her to do.

Henry had told her he would come early. He had also hinted that they had a lot to talk about. Mary had asked him on phone but Henry had insisted they do it face to face. She had a bad feeling about this. He had sound so serious. She was sure whatever Henry wanted to say, it couldn’t be good.

All this waiting, for Jason, for Henry, was making her anxious. She felt helpless, powerless. All she could do was worry about her daughter. Whenever she thought about Kim, she imagines something bad.

Every scenario that she had played in her mind ended up with Kim being dead. But if her daughter was….Mary blinked back tears….was dead, she would know right? She was her mother after all. She had given birth to her, carried her in the womb for nine months that kind of connection never fades right?

After all she had sensed when…..Mary blinked rapidly, not wanting the tears to fall…when Sam, her first husband had passed away.

Passed away. That is a too polite term for what really happened. A voice in her head snorted.

Mary squeezed her eyes shut and sat down heavily as memories flooded her, turning her legs to jelly.

CRASH

“Mom? Mom? Are you alright?.”

Mary stared at her little daughter who was standing in front of her, her pigtails so comically in contrast with the worried expression on her chubby face. She was growing up so fast.

“Mom are you hurt?.”Kim repeated walking towards her.

“Stop,” Mary said, “There are glass pieces everywhere. Don’t come here. You will hurt yourself.”

Kim abruptly came to a halt. Her tiny bare feet were only inches away from a sharp glass piece.

“Don’t worry baby. I am alright,” she reassured her daughter.”I was getting a glass of water. It slipped out of my hand.”

“You want me to help?”

She was so small but so grown-up for her age. She and Sam were lucky to have a daughter like her. They were a perfect family.

Perfect. Are you sure? A voice purred in her head.

Mary tried to squash the feeling of unease. Recently Sam had become so distant. He always seemed to be on edge, was always out working so late. He hardly spent any time with them anymore. But Mary knew he worked so hard, sacrificed so much for them; his family.

And he wasn’t that distant. Mary thought. Hadn’t she just talked to him this very morning?

True it was she who had called him. She usually didn’t disturb him at work but since this morning she had this weird feeling. She should have felt at ease after talking to Sam. Instead the feeling had worsened. Maybe it was because Sam had sounded so un-Sam like almost like he was scared. Mary shook her head. She was just over thinking that was all.

She glanced at the wall clock in the kitchen. It was well past midnight. Sam was late, again.

She still couldn’t shake this sense of foreboding, this feeling as if something bad was about to happen.

And then the doorbell rang.

It must be Sam. Mary thought.

In her haste to reach the door, she had accidentally stepped on a glass piece but she did not stop. With little Kim right behind her, she opened the door with a huge smile even though the glass piece was digging into the sole of her foot sending a sliver of sharp pain.

The smile died on her lips. There was no Sam.

Instead two policemen stood before her with grave expressions on their face.

And she knew.

It was in their expressions, the way they asked if this was Sam Wakefield’s house, if she was Mary Wakefield, his wife. She had replied in a daze. And then they had delivered the news.

Her beloved Sam, her husband was dead.

She had gone numb, seeing nothing, feeling nothing, not the tugging of a scared Kim, not even the pain from the glass piece that she had felt and endured to welcome the love of her life back home.

And then she had fainted.

“Ma’am are you okay?.”

The worried voice of Hilda, her maid pulled Mary out of one of the most painful memories. Mary saw that her entire body was shaking and her hands were ice cold.

“Ma’am?”

“Yes Hilda I am fine. Thank you for asking.” Mary replied, trying to compose herself.

Hilda didn’t look convinced but she let the matter rest.

“Ma’am Mr. Williams is here to see you.”

Finally Henry was here.

Mary took a deep breath.

“Bring him in please.”

*----------------*-------------*

Jake locked the door and glanced at the time in his cell. He had exactly an hour left for the meeting. Jake sighed in frustration. There was just not enough time. He had a lot of distance to cover to reach the meeting point and he hadn’t even started yet. He should have given her the drug-laced food ages earlier then he had.

All that drama inside had lost him time but he had to make sure she ate the food. She had taken such a long time that, for a moment in there, he had suspected she knew. But then she had finally given in and a good thing too else he would have had to force her.

Jake smiled. He would have preferred that. Hell he would have enjoyed it immensely but that would have cost him valuable time, time which he did not have. The rational Jake had won and eclipsed the sadistic Jake, for a while.

It would only be a matter of time now. She would sleep like the dead, oblivious to the world.

After waiting for what seemed like eons to him, Jake unlocked the door to his captive’s room and entered. There she was, lying on the bed while the tray, which had been picked clean, sat on the table. He wanted to clear the table, remove the tray but he was short of time.

He left the room in a hurry, not bothering to lock it. The drug he had given his captive was strong. She wasn’t going anywhere. He doubted she would wake up even hours after he came back. Yes the drugs had been that strong.

With a satisfied smile on his face, Jake locked the main door of the house, got into his car and drove away.