Chapter 8: Lost stars in the galaxy

Start from the beginning

"You have to admit I'm the best sister in the world" Leigh nudged me. I couldn't deny it, she really was. As I still couldn't build a proper sentence - the view of Malta had shocked me to a whole other level - I simply nodded with the biggest smile plastered on my face. For a girl like me who had lived all her life in the suburbs of Leeds, the Maltese atmosphere felt like a dream.

My older sister was getting married in a few months and had organised her bachelorette party on the other side of Europe. The original plan only included her and three friends of hers, but since it happened to be the same week as my 18th birthday, she offered to bring me as well. Even though we aren't blood-related and there's a 9-year-age gap between us, we formed a strong bond. We're more like best friends, in the end. And I'm also a perfect babysitter for her child when she needs me to. I usually wasn't great with children, but my 2-year-old niece isn't human, she's a tiny ball of sunshine. I could spend hours watching her explore the world through her big blue irises.

"So, what's the plan for tonight?" Gina asked, casually locking eyes with me bringing me out of my trance. Anyone would fall for her rebellious curls with red dyed ends and glowing caramel skin. Straight guys would kill to have a chance with her, but little do they know she wasn't into boys. She has a soft spot for women with the same personality as her: extroverted, emancipated, confident and classy. Looking back at it now, she definitely helped me realise I wasn't straight, either.

"Tonight is karaoke night, I think" Leigh replied as she tried to read our schedule for the next three days from her phone. The sun was blinding her and the reflection on her phone screen didn't help. She shielded the screen with one hand and turned her back to the sun to read better. "Yes, today karaoke, tomorrow fanciest disco in town, and lastly spa day, right before our departure in the evening."

Audrey dramatically sighed. "I don't think I have the energy to do that, I'm so old."

"Audrey, you're twenty-six, you're not old" Gina rolled her eyes at her.

"Whatever," Audrey loved being an overdramatic grandma. "This sun is drying up my will to live. I need some shade." Although I had taken up all the space under our beach umbrella, I could feel the energy being drained out of my body, too. Leigh and Gina loved the sun like lizards and were tanning their perfect bodies, whereas Heather was slowly falling asleep on the beach chair, covered in a white cotton towel, a large hat and sunglasses.

"I'm coming with you" Leigh offered and followed Audrey to the tiki bar.

"Do you think your sister is going to sing tonight?" Heather softly spoke once Leigh was out of sight.

"She has to," I shrugged. "It was her idea. And if she doesn't sing, I'm going to drag her under the spotlight, I don't care what she says."

"Aggressive," she faked surprise. "I like it." I winked at Heather, then got back to the cold beer I was sipping.

Obviously, back at the hotel, I was the first one to be done and waited for my roommates Leigh and Gina to finish their fashion show in front of the enormous wall mirror.

Bridge," I got my eyes off my phone and turned my head to Leigh as she called me. "You sure you don't want to try on any of my dresses for tonight? I can lend you something." I was wearing a pair of shorts and a simple caged crop top. All black as usual. Gina visibly disagreed with my choice, but preferred not to mention it. I saw the disappointment painted on her face as she eyed me up and down, though.

I shook my head and answered Leigh's question. "No, thanks, I'm good."

"You could meet the love of your life at that karaoke place, you should dress up a little." Eventually, Gina had to comment on my outfit. I sighed and repeated for the third time that no, I didn't want to dress up a little. My outfit wouldn't help me conquer the heart of my future soulmate. If they actually were the right person, they would love me regardless of my outfit. I highly doubted I'd meet my potential match on the other side of the continent.