Chapter 23 - The Groom's Brother

Start from the beginning

"Hello!" Didier stands next to me and holds his other arm. The guy looks up until he faces Didier's menacing stare and looks as if he's about to crap his pants. I can't deny that I'm enjoying this.

"Our friend here needs a taxi. He is a bit... Indisposed," I say as we walk towards the exit.

"No worries. We'll make sure you get home safely," Didier says as he signals one of the taxis on stand by to come closer.

Before the man can say anything else, we have made him take a seat at the back and mumble his address to the driver. We give him a wave as he drives away and then sigh in relief.

"He thought that yelling threats at Peter would get him more liquor," I say. "I don't want to imagine the kind of hangover he'll get tomorrow."

"Talking about tomorrow, I can't wait for it to come. Since I've been working for your brother, I haven't felt this stressed."

"The same."

As we enter the venue, we see commotion by the bridal table. Thomas stands close by with his hands in front of him, almost as if he's trying to calm someone while keeping distance. The bride's face is covered in cake and I walk around to find what's happening. Abigail covers her mouth as she stands next to Jimmy, who has turned the music off.

"Jason... I'm sure there are many emotions running through you, but this is not the time and place to act on them," Thomas says. "We don't want to call the police, so please, leave calmly."

The groom's brother! How did he enter this room? We were only a few minutes outside and have been guarding all entrances the whole night.

"He probably entered through the staff door," Didier says in my ear.

"Leave? I won't leave until the universe knows that this whore cheated on me with this bastard brother of mine. Well, guess what Mrs. Fucking White? I slept with these three when we were dating," he points at a group of horrified bridesmaids.

"Fine, Jason. You said what you wanted to say. Now leave," Thomas says.

"Why don't you shut the fuck up?" He yells at my brother and then I realize he has something in his hand.

Jason points the knife that minutes ago was being used to cut the wedding cake at Thomas. Even in the dim lights, I see that Didier looks ill as he supports himself from the wall. Thomas has no place to escape and there are no signs that Jason will leave calmly. If I can get closer to him, I might get the knife from behind. Thomas' lips tremble and it fills me with fury that this asshole is putting my brother in danger.

"I loved you, you know? Until you started making excuses, saying you were busy and we couldn't see each other. Were you fucking my brother, then?"

As I get closer, Thomas eyes get wider. Jason turns around and I tackle him to get the knife. The blade pierces my arm and blood pours immediately as he retracts it. It hurts like hell and I try to press the wound to make the blood stop, but it's not working. A bunch of men jump atop Jason, and the knife slides on the floor as they take control of him.

"Fuck, Will, why do you have to play the hero?" Thomas takes his tie off and ties it around my arm to control the bleeding. He cleans the tears going down his face and his hand leaves a trail of blood.

"He was going to hurt you," I feel lightheaded, and the room looks out of focus.

It could have been seconds, minutes, or hours by the time paramedics arrived. Each time I blinked, it seemed as if I was in a different place until I felt nothing.

"Will! Oh my God! It is really you!"

When I open my eyes, I find London or someone who looks like her at the feet of my hospital bed.

"London?"

"Yeah, it's me. I was going through the admission papers and saw a William Morgan admitted. I heard from a colleague about a stabbing at a wedding. I had to see for myself."

"He wanted to hurt Thomas," my voice come out as a slur.

"You would think that weddings are a joyful celebration. A stabbing? This is insane!" She grabs a file from the end of the bed and scans the papers. "You got a deep wound on your biceps."

"Is Tommy okay?"

London smiles and comes closer. Her lips land on my forehead and then she arranges my pillow in a better position.

"I haven't spoken with Thomas, but he hasn't been admitted. That makes me think he was not injured."

"And Didier? He got sick."

"I saw his name in the paperwork. I can't disclose the details of what's happened to him, but he's okay and will probably go home tomorrow. Someone left a note for you here on the table."

"Could you please read it to me? I can barely keep my eyes open."

"It's signed by Jimmy. He was here with your siblings, and since you have been in and out because of the meds, they went back to the reception to deal with whatever was left. Since it's late, he doesn't think they may be allowed to come and see you until tomorrow. He's right about that. The best you can do is rest."

"Jimmy is my baby brother. I love them all and I love you. I would take another stabbing to protect you all. We won't get to have a relaxing date tomorrow."

London smiles and shakes her head. "You are tripping."

"About? That I love you or the date? Since we started dating, I don't want to be with anyone but you. I do love you."

"I love you too, William," she kisses my lips lightly. "I have to go back to work and you need to rest. We will talk more in the morning."

"London?"

"Yes?"

"What about the date?"

London smiles and her face gets blurry until sleep wins.