Chapter 19

AN: Hey guys! I'm thankfully back from my break. So sorry for taking so long, the past weeks have been very eventful. I also sprained my ankle so that's... nice. Anyways, enjoy the next chapter!

You all walked down the stairs that led into the entrance space, and looked over to see the rest of the Madrigal family talking to a man in fancy wear with a slim body. He had a black cap on, which shadowed his face from the sun.

As you made your way towards them, they noticed you and were immediately flooded with greetings and warm welcomes. The man placed his eyes on you and Bruno, eyeing the two of you as you hugged the Madrigals when they crowded you. He approached you and the crowd, the rest making a path towards you and him.

" Oh Y/N, this is one of the coachmen for the Aurum family, and he's going to take us to them," Pepa said, smiling at the coachman.

" Pleasure to meet you, miss. The name's Mendax Lux," He said, taking off his cap. " Y/N was it?" You nodded in response, feeling slightly uncomfortable by his presence. He took your hand from your side and leaned down to press his lips onto your skin. Know you were surely uncomfortable with him.

You chuckled along with everyone else as he pulled back, trying to act as casually as possible, and rubbed your hands on your skirt while no one was looking. Bruno was unsettled by his advances toward you, but you took his hand ever so lightly and leaned closer to him. Nobody but Dolores and Mirabel noticed, but you didn't care as they already knew.

People started to get inside the carriages one by one, and you got in one of them with Camilo, Félix, and Abuela. It wasn't exactly ideal, but it was better than being with that weird coachman. The one you had barely even talked to you, which you were fine with.

Looking out the window, you saw people going over where the Aurum's would be. Watching their dazed looks, you pondered what the mayor and his family would be like. Maybe the fancy types, with flowing gowns and jewelry dripping from every inch of their body. Or possible the humble types, who seem like they were fit to do their jobs. You halted when the carriage stopped at a crossing for people.

Catching yourself into reality again, you noticed you were holding your arms out, to not fall onto the floor. You straightened up and put your arms down.

" So Y/N, are you and Bruno doing good?" Camilo questioned with his arms crossed as he looked at you. Now you really felt like you were gonna fall on the floor.

" I- I'm sorry?"

" You and Bruno. You two seem to have a fondness for each other is all Camilo was saying." Abuela said to you, looking slightly tense.

" O-h we're doing fine!" You remarked quickly, " He's very nice!" At that, everyone in the carriage looked at you. Félix shrugged, and Camilo smirked at you. Abuela stared at you for the remainder of the ride, which wasn't as long as you thought it would be. When the carriage stopped, you were the first one to get out. You couldn't stand the awkward atmosphere any longer than you already did.

You went where a line of guards stood. Sheesh, they're royalty, huh? Right next to the guards were where Bruno, Mirabel, and Dolores stood together, seemingly arguing over something.

" Hey guys! Whatcha talking about?" You said in a more calming matter than the rest of them. They all looked surprised as they hadn't noticed you were approaching while they were arguing.

" Oh! Hey Y/N," Mirabel said" We were just talking about you-" Bruno and Dolores at the same time nudged her side when she made that remark. " -Your favorite bug! What is by the way? We're very curious."

You rolled your eyes and started to ask them what they were doing when you heard a loud fanfare that hurt your ears. You looked to see someone getting out of a carriage, much like the ones you were brought here with. People one by one were getting out, dressed in formal clothing that looked prestigious.

The first person to get out was a short girl with an updo hairstyle, that parted her hair half on both sides. Her skin was a fair skin tone, which made her skin shine and project the sun's rays that shone on her. She looked elegant and regal as she stepped out.

The second out looked almost identical to the first girl, but more mature. She looked around at all the villagers. Her eyes landed on you and lingered there for a moment while she stood with the first girl.

The next person out was an older-looking man and his wife. He looked like he was well in his 50's, along with his wife. The man walked over to Abuela with the others following him. They talked for a while and then shook hands with one another. You couldn't see what they were saying to each other, but you noticed that the man and his family were walking over to the Madrigals and you. They started making their way down the line and shook hands with the others. Before you knew it, they were making their way toward you.

" Hello, dearie."