Chapter 11

You heard screams. They terrified you and made your bones shiver, causing a shudder from you. 

 You ran to the door, not bothering to put on shoes. Smoke was billowing and blinding you as you stepped outside. Cracks lined the walkways, leading all the way to the edge of Encanto. Thunderous bellows of worried citizens wailing in the street flooded your ears like a tsunami. Was this a waking nightmare, or a reality? You didn't know, you were terrified and confused and you didn't know.

 You gasped as you switched your head towards the casita. It was in ruins, dust forming a cloudy appearance. You ran towards the casita, as people screamed, you didn't care. You pushed past people, your hair flying, moving out of your face. You felt like you reached speeds unholy as you rushed to see if everyone was okay.

 You arrived, panting, but still looking. Pepa and Félix were comforting Antonio. Check. Camillo was there, looking for others. Check. Abuela sat on the ground. Check. Julieta and Agustín were looking for Mirabel. Check. So were Luisa, Dolores and Isabela. Check.

 Where had Mirabel gone to? And where was Bruno? Panicked filled your soul as people began to become aware that you were there. You blocked out the noise, breathing heavily. Why was this happening? How was this happening? Who was the cause of this? Where was Bruno? People were talking to you, you ignored them. People shook you, you ignored them. You couldn't do this any longer. 

 You dashed to the nearby woods, screaming their names. You hollered, hoping they would come back. You had just moved here, and just made friends. There was no way in hell you were losing them this quickly.

...

 You began to lose hope after an hour of searching, finally stopping to take a breath. You sat down on a rock, burying your head in your hands. That's when the thoughts came crashing in.

 What if you couldn't find them? What if the magics gone for good? What if you were lost in the woods all by your self? What if no one came looking for you? You began to tear up, thinking more dreadful things. 

 What if he was gone?

 At that, you cried into your arms, letting out a sob. You were probably lost, hungry and tired. You wanted to go home, but you didn't even know where home was.

 You shrunk into yourself, laying on the rock, ready to cry yourself to sleep, when something shook you. There was a soft and quaint sound coming from the far left of you. 

 " Mirabel? Y/N! Where are you?!" I heard someone saying. 

 You fixed you head up, towards the noise. You recognized that voice.

  You screamed out, " Bruno!" hoping he would hear you. The noise got louder and louder by each passing second. Suddenly, a horse came crashing towards you, halting to a stop as Bruno pulled the reigns. there was another horse next to him, riding in after him. He lept off the horse, talking the reigns and tying them to a nearby branch.

 You were too sad to contain yourself. As he faced you, you lept into his arms, pulling him into a tight squeeze. You never wanted to let go, and all your fears, doubts or worries flooded out. 

 Bruno was taken aback. He didn't know what to do in this situation, so he just stood there. He slowly, but surely, hugged you back. By now you were sobbing into his shoulder, making a mess out of yourself in front of him. It was quite embarrassing, but that didn't matter right now. You detached your arms around him, looking in his eyes.

  " Wait, have you been crying? And is that a scratch on your cheek? Bruno said, wiping your cheeks with his thumb. You hadn't noticed that there was a scratch, probably from when you were running through the trees. Your cheeks heated up as you removed his hand from your face.

 " Yeah, but I'm fine now." 

(assistant editor: aspen)