He looks at the ceiling. I lean on my arm to look at him. He sighs.

'When you're a kid and have the vampire gene, it doesn't do anything to you. Only once you're sixteen does it start to show up. I knew right away that I didn't want to hurt people for my hunger, so I refused. It made me so weak that my father came up with the idea of feeding on animals. I did that and it went well for a while. When I almost turned eighteen, the age when you are a full vampire, I couldn't keep the animal blood down. My body started rejecting it, and I starved again. It got so bad that I could barely walk. My father intervened and forced me to bite a human from the dungeons. That is my bad memory.' This explains so much about how he deals with his vampire side. It explains why he is not the bloodthirsty vampire that was always told.

He turns his head so our eyes meet. He smiles slightly, but the pain is reflected in his blue eyes.

For a moment, I stare into his eyes before I do something I did not expect of myself. I lean forward, put my hand on his cheek, and gently press my lips to his.

Novak seems momentarily startled by my unexpected action before he joins in the kiss.

The kiss is gentle, exploratory, and without any pressure. This is the second kiss I've shared with Novak, and I'm already feeling much more comfortable with it than last time.

I position myself better by putting my leg between his. I end up lying half on top of him, half on my arm. He wraps his arms around my ribs and pulls me closer to himself. Novak takes more of a lead in the kiss, turning it into a deeper one.

Our lips slide over each other faster and faster. Novak lets his tongue slide over my lips, which makes me open my lips a little bit for him automatically.

The kisses I shared with Christiaan were so different. I felt nothing more or less than fear. This kiss makes me feel at ease, relaxed, and perhaps even a little curious for more.

I am so engrossed in the feeling of our tongues passing each other that I only realize that Novak turns us around as soon as I am lying on my back under him.

For a moment, I break the kiss to see what position I'm in. He is lying half on top of me with his legs between mine and his arms supporting my head. He looks at me questioningly and a little worriedly.

'Do you think this is okay? If there is anything you don't want or if there is something you don't like, just say it straight away, and I will stop.' I just nod. The truth is that I am okay with this. I feel at ease and safe. A small smile appears on his face before he connects our lips again.

I wrap my arms around Novak's neck, entwining my fingers into his hair. His calm and gentle demeanor is a welcome change for me, and I long to become accustomed to it. Our kiss deepens, and I lose myself in the moment, my hands wandering through his hair.

As he presses his hips against mine, I momentarily tense up, but quickly realize that there's nothing to fear. Surprisingly, I find myself welcoming his touch, even as his hand slides under my nightgown and caresses my side.

I feel my heart race with anticipation as his fingers trace my ribs and move towards my breasts. Novak pauses when his fingers reach the side of my right breast, looking at me questioningly.

Without hesitation, I nod my approval, hungry for more of his touch. His warm hand covers my chest, and I feel my breath catch in my throat as he gently squeezes my breasts before his fingers envelop my nipple. The sensation is electric, causing me to grip his hair tightly.

He moves his lips to my neck, planting kisses that send shivers down my spine. I close my eyes and let myself revel in the new feelings coursing through my body. As he finds a spot that elicits a moan from me, his hand slides down my side, leaving me feeling both excited and scared.

Novak looks at me, his blue eyes penetrating mine as his hand moves to the inside of my thigh. I feel my breath falter once more.

'May I touch you?'