Chapter Fifty-Two

Unfortunately, Monday was the day after Christmas, so Brad had to go back to work. Kendra was still on maternity leave, so I made plans to stop by after I exercised and got some things done around the house.

January was right around the corner, and Drew's anniversary of his birth and death in the same day. Somehow, being in this house alone, in the cold and dark of winter, my emotions plunged right back down to the depths of despair. I couldn't wait to escape to Florida, or Tennessee for that matter. I would grieve Drew on that day no matter where I was, but here felt way too similar to how I felt immediately after he died.

Bre texted while I was doing dishes, this time to let me know Steve had been staying at the house, and that she hadn't forgiven him yet but they were talking. She said she would like to talk to me before I left town again.

I groaned out loud. I didn't want to see her. I didn't know exactly what she wanted to discuss but I did owe her some apologies, which I didn't want to give, because I was currently jealous and bitter.

I did reply to say I'd be around until New Years but I didn't know if I was ready to talk.

Right before I was about to leave for Kendra's, Rev called.

My heart leapt the second I saw his name.

"Hi", I said, a smile spreading across my face.

"Hello, love. How was your holiday?"

"Good. Did you do anything?"

"I did go to Tim's on Christmas Eve with the rest of the blokes".

"It makes me sad that you're sitting alone", I said, my heart aching for him.

"It's what I do every year, love. It's fine".

"No, it's not", I said, my eyes tearing up.

"What did the wanker get you?", Rev asked, changing the subject.

I filled him in on presents and the Steve and Bre situation.

"If she takes him back, do you think she will keep on with Brad, or do you think she'll put a stop to it?", Rev asked.

"Well, I couldn't envision her doing this in the first place, so who the hell knows?", I said, feeling annoyed. "She wants to talk to me".

"You don't?"

"Nope. I need to apologize to her for the things I've done and I don't want to".

Rev chuckled. "She's your friend, yeah?"

"Yes".

"Then you need to talk to her, be honest, work it out. Don't let that wanker ruin your friendship, yes?"

"Right. You're right. I just don't want to".

He chuckled again. "You're tougher than that".

"Yeah, I suppose I am", I grumbled.

"Look, love, I'm going to be busy getting some detailed information for supplies and things Tim needs, and then presenting all that in person to Clint's boss, so I don't think it's likely I'll be able to make it to Miami for your shows". 

"That's okay. I'll miss you, though".

"Love, you have no idea how much I miss you".

I felt my throat get tight and tears started stinging my eyes.

"What else is going on in that pretty little head of yours?", Rev asked quietly.

"Drew", I said, my voice breaking. "It's almost January. Being in this house alone today...it's not...I'm feeling it pretty hard. Nearly the same as back then".