Chapter Thirteen

I woke up to Brad's alarm going off on his phone. I reached over him and turned it off, then looked into his face in the morning light. He was still sleeping, which was unusual for him.

I wonder if he slept harder knowing Rev was also here for protection?

He wouldn't have been sleeping so peacefully had he known about the conversation Rev and I had yesterday afternoon.

I felt my face turn red again.

"Brad".

He stirred slightly.

"Brad, it's time to get up. You have to go to work".

He stirred slightly and put his hand on my closest breast, rubbing it gently.

I smiled as he opened his eyes.

"Morning, beautiful".

"You need to get up".

"I am", he said, grabbing the back of my neck and pulling my face down to his.

"You don't have time".

"Bullshit", he growled, rolling me over onto my back and continuing to kiss me.

Afterward, he scooted off to the shower as I threw on some clothes and went to make breakfast.

Rev wasn't on the couch. I looked around. He was out back doing push-ups on the lawn. I counted twenty before shaking my head and getting to the breakfast. Momentarily, he stepped in the patio door, not even breathing heavily.

"Hello, love".

"Hey", I said.

I met his eyes. He didn't look amused today, which was good for both of us, because that would have pissed me right off. He stepped over close to me at the stove.

"You didn't tell your boyfriend about our conversation", he said.

I looked up at him. "How do you know that?"

"He didn't kick my ass, did he?"

"You would let him?", I asked, surprised.

Rev smiled but it didn't reach his eyes. "I wouldn't need to, love. Brad has a very tight lid on a very dangerous temper, and you are the screwdriver that could pop that lid right off. I think I'd have a hard time surviving that ass kicking if you were the reason why".

I felt a chill run up my spine.

"That's what I've always worried about if he runs into Jay", I whispered.

Rev nodded. "Let's hope I can get him to prison before Brad gets to him then, yeah?"

"Yeah".

"You still mad?"

I stirred the eggs.

"Not at you. I'm mad at myself".

"Why, love?"

I looked up at him. I could still hear the shower.

"Because of what I told you about Steve. And because I was actually flirting with you. I'm sorry".

"Love, stop. Drop this. It's not healthy. People flirt. It's okay. It's normal to be attracted to more than one person. It doesn't make you bad and you don't need to beat yourself up. It's completely normal. I'm sorry I said a fucking thing about it".

He looked concerned. "I'm a wanker. Don't mind anything I say. Nothing, love. This is my fault. Not yours".

I shook my head and started flipping the bacon.