Chapter 10. Hiding in Plain Sight (Sexual Content, PTSD)

In reality, witness protection does not involve actually living with the officers on the protection detail

In reality, witness protection does not involve actually living with the officers on the protection detail. It does for the purposes of this story.

**********************

They spent much of the night at the Federal Marshals office. After they were debriefed and Gaba reunited with his wife and children, they wanted to split Bucky and Natalie up. She refused, saying she felt safer with him than anyone else. To be honest he didn't want to be separated from her either. When the one Marshal asked if they were a couple they looked at each other. Bucky turned back to him and said yes. Natalie had squeezed his hand hard and he smiled back at her, feeling positive for the first time in a long time. Pictures were taken of them. An hour later they were in the back of an unmarked vehicle and headed for the airport with two Marshals. A private jet awaited them and they were soon airborne with the two Marshals.

"Where are we going?" asked Bucky.

"Can't tell you," said the one. "You'll know when we get there."

"Our families, will they know we're in protective custody?" asked Natalie.

"You can each write a letter, right now," said the other Marshal. "Say goodbye, tell them that you're in protective custody but you don't know where. You will be given new identities until such time as a trial takes place for the crimes committed against you and you testify in those trials. Seal them, address them and we will make sure they get to your families. We also want your wallets, purses, rings, anything that would identify you. They will be kept in secure storage until you come out of protection."

They both wrote their letters, signed and sealed them. They handed over their personal items and watched as they were put into rubberized zippered pouches like the banks used for deposits. They were tagged and sealed with a metal lock. For the whole flight Bucky and Natalie sat holding hands, occasionally kissing lightly. Several hours later the pilot announced they were approaching the destination. Everyone was ordered back into their seats and to put their seatbelts on. They landed at a small airport near the ocean with mountains all around at mid-morning. The Marshals got off first and were gone for ten minutes then word was given to the pilots that the couple could leave the aircraft. When they got off there were two people waiting and they escorted them inside the small terminal and into an office where a customs official waited.

"Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Ben and Hannah Freeman," said the man with a patch on his black uniform that said CBSA. "I hope you had a good time on your honeymoon in the United States. Passports please."

The first strange man took their passports out of his jacket and handed them to Bucky. He glanced at them before handing them to the customs agent, noting they were Canadian passports. They were asked if they had brought any cigarettes or alcohol with them. Bucky said no. The agent went over the customs form.