Chapter 6. I'll Come For You (Trauma)

Warning:  Violent threats are made in this chapter

Warning: Violent threats are made in this chapter. The physical results of a beating are also detailed. If you are in a violent relationship know you are not alone and that help is just a phone call away.

Bucky's cell phone rang and he sat up in the dark, turning on the light before he answered it after the third ring. The clock said 4 am.

"Bucky?" It was Natalie and he was instantly alert.

"Where are you?" he demanded, rubbing his face with one hand.

"Pittsburgh, at the police station," she whispered. "I told them to phone Steve Rogers but he wasn't there and they put me through to Sam instead. He told Rumlow and that's who's here to get me. He's here and I can't get out Bucky. I'm so scared. I'm sorry...I'm sorry I left you."

"Natalie, there's no window, no exit?" he asked, desperate.

"No!" she was crying now. "They put me in an interview room with a single door and I can see him. He's standing there joking with the officer. Bucky he's looking at me and laughing. Oh God, Bucky. I'm scared. He's going to kill me."

"No, he won't, not yet," said Bucky quickly, trying to reassure her, "because I'm not there and he knows that you're talking to me right now. He knows that I'll come for you because he wants me too. Natalie, are you there? Natalie?!"

He could hear her crying almost hysterically as Rumlow got closer to the interview room. He could hear Rumlow's voice calling her Mrs. Madison and telling her how her nightmare was over, that the killer had been caught and she could go on with her life knowing that justice had been served. He could hear him telling the Pittsburgh officer that she was obviously emotional about being safe. There were sounds of doors opening and closing then the sound of a slap and Natalie crying out in pain and fear as Rumlow obviously hit her. Bucky yelled her name again but there was no response. She must have dropped her phone because he heard a sound like it hitting the ground. Then he heard Rumlow's voice.

"That you Barnes?" asked Rumlow, his raspy voice full of his arrogant attitude. "I have her Bucky. If you want her you're going to have to come to me. I won't hurt her ... much. I won't kill her until I have both of you in front of me, together. We might as well end our little feud at the same time. You're like a gnat that keeps buzzing around my head."

"Don't you touch her Rumlow," warned Bucky, trying desperately to keep his cool. "I know it was you that set me up in Afghanistan. They're reopening the file because you fucked up the attack on the base. They know there was no Taliban around that night. So they know Warren and Haines were murdered and it's going to lead to you Rumlow, you and all of your associates that helped you set me up."

"You're bluffing," said Rumlow. "How could you know any of that?"

"Because you're an asshole," spat Bucky. "You always were and many people like me better than you. Someone noticed and they're talking now. So you better not hurt a hair on her head."