Chapter 7: Not Too Exciting

Sakura and I stood facing one another; staring and daring for the other one to look away.

Out of all my old friends, Sakura was the most effected by my sudden disappearance. I heard from Ino she was furious then sad then furious again because she thought I saw them or her as nothing more than objects to pass time and when I want to leave I can. Tears had started to form in my eye when I heard. Ino said she knew and she trusted my reasons for cutting off all connections then promised she'd talk to Sakura about it.

Sakura didn't take it too well and said Ino was siding with someone that had only used her. I guess I do deserve that. Not a day went that I didn't regret leaving at least a note on the fridge for my friends to find the next morning or at least calling them once and a while to see if they were doing well.

"Dr. Lee, is everything okay?" Hudson's voice cut me out of my train of thoughts. I shook my head once.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I cleared my throat. "Sakura Haruno born on March 28th, are you here?"

Her green eyes were still shaking with shock causing her answer to be shaky, "I-I'm here."

Normally, I would've let that go but the other interns were looking at me with anticipation to see how I'd react to that weak reply.

I reacted the way I promised I did. Making sure I could compose myself and not break down in the middle of the scolding, I took a while bunch of mental deep breaths to calm all my bouncing nerves.

"Dr. Haruno let me ask you something," I closed the clipboard. "If a patient came up to you, asking for a painkiller because he has arthritis and was awaiting treatment but couldn't fight against the pain, would you shakingly and unconfidentally give him the drug like the way you answered me a few seconds ago?"

"I-uh, I-"

I cut her off, "With you shuddering like that, he might as well endure the pain until the very end! I told you already that I need confident doctors, the world needs confident doctors! Not doctors who can't even form a sentence without shuddering, AM I CLEAR?!"

Sakura blinked at my sudden scolding increasing in volume.

"THIS ISN'T A GAME ANYMORE! AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT, AT ANY GIVEN HEARTBEAT, SOMEONE COULD DROP FROM ANY TYPE OF ILLNESS IN THE ENVIRONMENT AND THE DOCTOR IS TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP THE PERSON ALIVE AND STABLE! IF A DOCTOR WERE TO HESITATE IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION, THE PATIENT DIES. DONE AND DUSTED! THEN WHY NOT JUST HELP KILL THE PERSON, HUH?!"

I turned to all the interns as I continued, "So I need absolute confidence and zero regrets with the decisions you make here in the ER. I don't want to ever hear shuddering or hesitation whenever it comes to performing any tiny job within this room or any place within the hospital or at home. I need 100% commitment and not students who have no idea what to do! Now, Sakura Haruno born on March 28th, ARE YOU PRESENT?!"

I glared at Sakura again. She was biting her lip at my words.

"Do. Not. Make. Me. Repeat. Myself!" I snapped at her. "Sakura Haruno born on March 28th Are. You. Here?!"

She gave me a short quick bow, "I AM PRESENT, MA'AM!"

I nodded with satisfaction, "I want each of you to help a nurse clean at least two dust pans before I give you your first official lesson. But the next emergency that comes in, I expect all four of you to be present in the EOR without a second to spare, understood?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Good," I said. "Everybody may go except Dr. Haruno. I'd like a few words with her. Dr. Hudson, can you please keep an eye on them?"