Chapter 15: Grandma

Mrs Julia Smith invited Elvira back to work in her company. She introduced her to some of the trusted business managers and signed Elvira to be Damon’s legal guardian until he comes of age, 18 years. Elvira for the sake of young Damon and his parents accepted the offer. Of course, she will do anything for him. Ever since Elvira agreed, Mrs Smith had been taking Damon on vacation to visit other beautiful places around the world. She spent lovely times with her grandson, not until five years later.

They admitted Mrs Julia to the hospital. She had been struggling with lung cancer for a couple of years back, even before Damon’s death. It just worsens now, and she’s in the final stages.

Mrs. Julia, who is just 55 years old, stared at the ceiling, thinking about how crazy her life had been. Meeting Jason Smith was just like yesterday... They got married and had Damon. And it was just like yesterday. He passed away with Lilith. Thinking about it, her life played so rapidly that living for 55 years felt like a blink of an eye.

The door cracked and Elvira walked in with young Damon at hand.

“Grandma! Is that you?” Damon sprinted across the room and jumped to her side, but couldn’t reach her bed properly.

“Bring him to me.” She signaled to Elvira with a bright smile and she helped him up to sit beside his grandmother. Damon jumped into her arms and gave her a tight hug. He gently pulled away and just then, he took a glimpse at her pale face and noticed the dark circles around her teary eyes.

“Excuse us a bit.” She said to Elvira, who was heavily pregnant now.

She smiled at the both of them and walked out, standing beside the window, to watch and listening to the both of them.

“Have you been crying?” He started.

“No Damon. I haven’t.” A small smile formed on her lips as she lied. But instead of joy, all she felt was overwhelming pain.

“Of course you’ve been crying. I can tell by the look of your swollen eyes.” He sat upright and faced her. “Get well soon, grandmother. So we can visit Jerusalem this year.”

“But we went there last year. Do you still want to go there again?”

“Of course, it’s my favorite place in the world!” He blushed and suddenly his eyes fell on hers. Julia sniffed softly and wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Are you crying again?” He pulled closer to her.

“No... I’m not crying. Something entered my eyes.” Julia can’t believe she had to lie to her grandson almost every time. As she wiped out her eyes, Damon held her trembling hand.

“Let me see.” he said and squinted his eyes. Pulling closer to her, his hazel eyes focused on hers. Young Damon watched how tears pierced the whiteness of her eyes as if being stung by dusts. A solemn tear that formed in her eyes rolled out and dropped off the corner of her eyes. A smile appeared on Julia’s lips while she watched the puzzle on face.

“You lied, grandma.” Damon’s excited voice suddenly went low. As if her reaction pained him. “You’re crying again.”

“Come here.” She held him and gently placed his head on her chest while she cried. Julia’s body looked calm compared to how her mind was. It’s ridiculous how her grandson could read her better. Everything about him reminds her of his dad. He used to be her support as well.

“I love you so much, Damon. Don’t forget that.” Julia’s eyes bled with pain and joy.

He felt confused as her words rang in his ears. “I love you too, grandma but why do you tell me almost every time? I notice you cry most times when we’re together. Does every grandmother love their grandkids this much?” His eyebrows pulled up at her while he asked the question.

“No... Not every grandparent, but this is how every grandparent should love their grandchild.” Julia replied with a smile.

“What about your tears? You’re such a crybaby... I should be the one crying.”

“It’s called tears of joy.”

“Tears of joy? What does that mean?”

“It means you make me happy so much that I love you even more. You’re my hope, Damon. I want to tell you something.” A painful groan escaped her chapped lips as she pulled herself up to take a clearer view of him.

“This might be the last time I tell you this but, be an obedient son to your mum. Listen to her because she’s wiser and also trust yourself. Never forget that you are a Smith. For this reason, a time would come when you’d have to choose between what you want and what others want for you. Don’t forget to follow your heart. Think with your heart and not your mind. Every pain gives a lesson, and every lesson changes a person. Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.”

“Why are you telling me this? Are you going somewhere?”

“Yes... I’m traveling. It might take a while before you see me again.” Mrs. Smith said and pulled him closer. She placed a kiss on his head. “Call your mum for me.” She helped Damon down while he rushed out of ward.

Julia placed her head back on the pillow and closed her eyes. While Damon got back with Elvira, she walked towards Julia’s bed and felt the silence of the room.

“You called me ma’am.” Elvira touched her hand and realized it dropped back to the bed. She pressed her eyes from between her eyes sac and cheek to check if she was sleeping... But the white of her eyeballs, which were now red, didn’t pull back, either. Elvira placed two fingers on her neck and studied it, but couldn’t feel any moving pulse. The life supporting machines suddenly gave a red blink and the ziz-zagged lines flowed in a straight line.

“Oh, no! It’s not what I’m thinking.” Elvira immediately rushed out to call the doctor, while Damon watched her, confused.

Two other doctors rushed in and asked Elvira to wait outside with Damon. The both of them watched as the doctors examined them through the transparent window with worry written all over their faces.

Elvira held her enormous stomach as her vision turned blur from the tears hanging in her eyes. She couldn’t help but to pray she makes it this time.

“Mum. Damon pulled her sleeve. Can I have a picture of her?” Damon requested.

“It’s at home. I’d show you when we get home.”

“No, I want a picture of her now.” He pleaded.

Elvira took out her phone and took a shot of Mrs. Smith whole the doctors where still I operating. They rubbed a jell on a life stabilizer to jerk her up, but she dropped back to the bed anytime they tried.

Elvira took a shot and handed her phone to Damon. Emotionlessly, his eyes stared at his grandmother’s dead body on the bed and her picture on the phone.

An ache started deep in his stomach. He turned away as his eyes welled up with tears.

‘Was this a goodbye, grandmother?’ the thought whirled through his head as the phone dropped off his hand. Elvira turned to him with wide eyes, surprised by what he just did. Although, the screen if her phone got broken, Damon looked up at her and a tear rolled down his face.

“Come here, my love.” She held him in a hug, and his eyes watched his grandmother again. This time. The doctors covered her face and glanced at each other with disappointment. They nodded their heads and walked out of the ward, saying no word.

Elvira pulled away from him and rushed to the doctors.

“We tried out best but... We lost her.” One doctor broke the sad news and patted Elvira on the shoulder just to calm her down. Of course, she was heavily pregnant, she had to take precaution.