STRANGE DAY

Challenge No.11 - What In The World?

Your character's day has been every sort of strange that you can imagine. Write about this day from their perspective—in the voice of a children's book.

-----

Eight-year-old Peanut was about to discover that strange things did not only happen on dark and stormy nights but happened on bright sunny days too. It started at breakfast when the phone rang.

"That was Ma Benjamin. Sir Duke has crawled under the house. She needs help." Mum told them.

"I'm too big." Sebastien the eldest said.

"I'm too big." The twins said.

"Samantha is too young," Mum said.

Everyone looked at Peanut. "Didn't I do that already?" The tiny girl had a strong feeling she'd done this before.

"Probably. Off you go."

So, Peanut crawled under the house of Mrs Benjamin and got the cat out. When she got home mum sent her to shower again. While in the shower Peanut slipped and landed on her bum.

"Oomph!" She said and the soap flew high into the air, landing on her head. Peanut frowned. Hadn't all this happened before?

It was Saturday and before they went out to play, homework needed to get done. Peanut's assignment was to draw the coronavirus.

"But I did that already!" She insisted.

"Great! Then you can do it again!" Mum replied.

Peanut did as she was told. When she was all done, she asked for permission to go down to the river with Dax.

"Be careful," Mum said.

So, Peanut hopped, skipped and jumped down the path, while the rottweiler ran ahead, then ran back.

They came around the corner and there on a low mango tree branch was a large iguana. It was huge! It was the biggest lizard Peanut had ever seen in her life! Dax growled. Dax didn't like lizards.

"No, Dax." Peanut said.

"Thank you. Why do you speak to the dog but throw stones at us?" A voice said.

"Who said that!?"

"I did. Look up. I'm in the tree." The voice told her.

But hard as Peanut looked, she could see no one. "I don't see you."

"Yes, you do. It's me, Ivan Iguana."

"This day is getting stranger and stranger. Lizards don't talk." Peanut said.

"Dogs don't talk and you talk to them." Ivan pointed out.

"They bark. Lizards don't talk." That much Peanut knew

"Yes, we do." Ivan insisted.

"I've never heard you all."

"That's because, until today, you've never listened."

"So, what am I supposed to do?"

"Don't throw stones at us."

"But you're in my way!" Peanut pointed out. "How am I supposed to get you to move?"

"Ask."

"Ask?"

"That's right. Walk up to us and ask us to please step aside. We'll run away long before you even get a chance to speak." Ivan said.

"Oh!"

"Try it."

So, Peanut marched up to the tree, "Mr Lizard, may I pass please?" Just as he'd said. Ivan ran up the tree as soon as Peanut began to get closer.

"THANK YOU!" She shouted up.

"YOU'RE WELCOME!" Ivan shouted down.

"What a strange day." Peanut said as she continued towards the river. "Dax. Can you talk too?"

"WOOF!" Dax said.

© 11 March 2022

Peanut Tales US Copyright Registration No. TXu 2-133-118

===

How to draw the coronavirus https://youtu.be/uDhVtZa-PT8

More Peanut Tales are hosted at https://www.amazon.com/author/dawnnbooks

More Flash Fiction stories are hosted at https://www.patreon.com/dawnnbooks