16| Novels

It's been a week since I entered the local group center, and it felt strange. So many troubled high school and college students have been here longer than expected.

I bit my lip as I gripped the textbook; I looked around to see security guards at every door. This felt like a prison rather than a group center; I rest my head on the table. Exams are coming up soon, and I can't concentrate on studying. A soft knock made my heart drop. I lift my head and turn to see Professor Bahng--I mean Christopher in his usual suit. 

"Oh, Pr-Christopher? What are you doing here?" I asked, getting up; he smiled. "I came to drop off your new assignments and ensure you're keeping up with classes." He said, taking the empty seat next to me; I sat back down. I smiled faintly and opened the textbook, "I turned in the other assignments last night; I think I can finish the new assignments." I said. Christopher chuckles, "You'll probably be the first to graduate early from my class before anyone else...that's good." He said with a smile. Christopher opens his laptop; a small sigh escapes my lips.

It felt nice talking to someone that I was familiar with, "So how are your sessions going? Are you doing okay with them?" Christopher asked. I smiled and nodded, "Although they seem boring, they're somewhat helpful..." I said. I closed the textbook and turned to him, "Have you heard anything about my parents?" I asked. I needed to know if my mother was okay, to know if any changes had happened. Christopher closed his laptop and began to put away his paperwork, "Your...your dad left; your mom still lives there." He said. I bite my bottom lip, "So he left her...alone..." I muttered. I wiped away the tears, "Thank you again for everything," I said with a sad smile.

Christopher sighs and turns to me, "Elizabeth...why didn't you tell me you had been abusing alcohol and drug substances?" He asked, crossing his arms. I let out a small chuckle, "Cannabis isn't just a random drug substance; it would've been worse if I had been on crystal meth or heroin." I said with a smirk. Christopher didn't seem to find it amusing; I frowned. "So what...I may have been drinking and getting high. At least I haven't been slitting my wrists." I muttered, crossing my arms. Christopher pinches the bridge of his nose and exhales sharply, "You're still hurting yourself physically...Elizabeth." He spoke softly. I looked at him as he grabbed his things, "Finals are in three months; study more." He said, getting up. "See you around," I said as Christopher smiled sadly and left the lounge room.

Why is he worried about my health? It's not like I was addicted to cannabis or alcohol.