20| Funeral

I rest my head against my mother's casket, "Elizabeth, are you going to be okay?" Nadie asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. I exhaled softly and wiped away the tears, "I'll be fine, don't worry," I whispered and turned my gaze to Christopher, standing by the door frame. "You're my sister; we lost our mother. How can I not worry," Nadie said. I looked at her. "Now, you want to acknowledge me as your sister?" I asked, raising my voice at her a little too loud. Daniel rushed to us. "Don't make a scene, Liz," Daniel said through gritted teeth as he grabbed my arm. I let out a scoff and chuckle; I licked my lips.

Tears swelled up in my tired eyes as I gave them a cold stare, "Don't walk in here acting like you give a shit; you don't know the hell I lived with Mama and Papa!" I cried, pulling my arm out of Daniel's grip. Nadie looked pissed along with Daniel; Christopher rushed to my side. "Who are you?" Nadie asked. Christopher helped me to stay steady. "I think it's best if you leave Elizabeth to her grieving," Christopher said, making me sit on the black chair next to the casket; I find my cries uncontrollable. "Breathe, Elizabeth," Christopher whispers as he crotches before me. I feel dizzy and short of breath. Christopher grabs hold of my hands. "Elizabeth!" I fainted for the third time.

~~~~~~~~~~

I sit up, feeling a headache rush in. I let out a small groan. My eyes gaze at the boring blue walls of my bedroom; I feel sick just being in here. The door creaked softly; I turned to see Christopher walking in with a glass of water. "Oh great, you're awake; I was beginning to worry." He said with a small smile. I got up from the bed. "How long was I out?" I asked, earning a concerned look from Christopher. "For fifteen minutes, are you feeling okay?" He asked, handing me the glass of water.

I let out a small sigh, taking small sips of the water. "Elizabeth, are you okay?" Christopher asked again; I looked at him. "I'm fine," I said, placing the glass of water on the drawer; I walked over to the closest. I didn't emptied it that time; some of these clothes had memories I couldn't take with me. I could feel Christopher standing behind me, "I used to be close to them, my siblings." I broke the silence between us. The familiar little red raincoat screamed at me for help, and I shivered. "What caused you to become distant with each other?" Christopher asked.

I bite my lip and hug myself, "When I was eight, Nadie and Daniel were fifteen, and this happened back in Tucson. Before things got worse, my dad was always an alcoholic. He spent all his days after work in bars and adult clubs; it wasn't new to me and my siblings. Yet again, I was only eight," I said, turning to face Christopher. In his eyes, I could see that he seemed conflicted. "I was just an eight-year-old, a little girl who thought that her dad was meant to protect her and keep her safe from the dangers of men." I felt my voice become quiet; Christopher's eyes were glossy and filled with anger.

"My dad was over-the-top drunk; my mother and siblings made it sound like it was just a bad nightmare, but I remember it clear as day." Christopher grabbed my shoulders, "You don't have to," He whispers. I wiped away the tears, "Like I said, I was only eight, and my siblings decided not to report it. And now I can't stand them," I said. Being in Christopher's arms was the most comforting and warmest thing to me; it was almost like he was helping me heal. "I'm so sorry that you had to go through that as a child," he whispered as he laced his fingers in my hair; Christopher's scent was intoxicating me. It reminded me of Autumn and Winter, the mixture of vanilla and sandalwood.

"Elizabeth..." He whispers; I grip his jacket. "Hmm," I whispered, "I want you to come stay with me," He said. I opened my eyes and looked up at him, "You live next door to this place..." I implied. Christopher sighs, "I know, which is why I decided to move back into my aunt's place; she doesn't use the house and spends most of her time living in Singapore." He said. I felt my heart flutter, "Don't worry, my aunt has that house under my name. It used to be my parent's place," He whispered. I gave him a small smile, "Okay," I whispered before resting my head against his chest again. I could get used to this...being this close to skin contact with Christopher.