Chapter 15

There was something inherently seductive about the red satin ballgown I had chosen for tonight. The off-the-shoulder design emphasised the regal tilt of my chin, and the golden embroidery which covered the skirt and train somehow managed to look like the sparks off a flame.

As the maids moved to pin my hair up, Merino made a noise of disapproval and flapped them aside. I watched her twist small sections back from my face and pin them, allowing the rest to fall about my shoulders in gentle waves.

"Perfection." She murmured as she stepped back.

I smiled at her in the mirror. "You are a dressmaking wonder, Ms Merino."

"I know." She replied, already moving away, clearly not interested in my praise.

With no one hovering at my side, I could breathe for a moment. The girl looking back at me from the mirror was so different from the one I had become used to seeing over the last couple of weeks.

There was a sort of glow about me now. An almost happiness that I had found it hard to believe I could ever feel again. Tonight I would give my heart and break a heart. The thought was a sobering one, and I closed my eyes to fight the guilt.

"My Queen?" Alessia's quiet voice pulls me from my worries. "The ball has begun."

My fingers smoothed the skirts of the dress one last time before I looked up. "Of course, let's go."

We walked in silence, flanked by two guards on either side.

"Have you decided Elor-, my Queen?" Alessia asked as we approached the doors to the ballroom.

I glanced sideways at her. "I think so. I just, I hope I am making the right choice. For myself and the kingdom."

"Any choice which brings you happiness is right for the kingdom."

"If it weren't entirely inappropriate and I would hug you now, Alessia." I whispered as I prepared to enter.

"Thank heavens for proprietary, then."

I snorted at her whispered response and saw the smile on her lips just before the doors opened and we were a Queen and her guard once more.

"Her royal highness, Queen Elora of the Light Court. Bright may she be." The announcer called out.

I smiled politely and waved as I descended the staircase to the cheers of my people. It never seemed to become any easier to have all eyes on me, waiting for a misstep.

At the bottom of the staircase, I spotted Melida. She had clearly arrived only moments before me and had decided to wait. The fitted blue gown she wore clung to her curves as though it were made for her body, and I gave her a small nod of my head to let her know I was impressed.

She laughed out loud and inclined her head back towards me, as if to say I impressed her as well. My eyes scanned the crowd for other familiar faces, and I spotted Owen watching me calmly from a spot by the doors out onto the gardens.

Just behind him, I spied Finn and Lina in an alcove. Whatever conversation they were having seemed to be rather heated and my curiosity had me promising to myself I would look into it later.

I continued to search the room, but there was no sign of Ezra. My heart sank at the thought he might have left me again.

"Has anyone seen Prince Ezra?" I asked Alessia as we emerged from the crowd.

Alessia's eyes searched the room. "I'm afraid not, your majesty. Perhaps he is running late?"

"Perhaps." I murmured.