Chapter 8

"Ride with me." I order Alessia in a sharper tone that I originally intended.

I catch the surprise in her warm brown eyes before she inclines her head in agreement.

A whispered word to the guards and I know our horses will be saddled and ready to go before we even reach the stables. It is a relief considering the nervous energy trembling through me right now as the contents of the note run through my head. Every instinct in me is screaming. Even my confident, protective Undoing is telling me to run.

I am not safe. Not here, and not anywhere for that matter. The skirts of my gown swish as I hurry back through the grounds. Ordinarily I would change before a ride, but not this time. 

"Is everything alright my queen?" Alessia asks in a low voice once we are far enough from the crowds not to be overheard.

"Not right here. Not now." I whisper back, keeping my face impassive to hold back the swirling emotions insides of me. 

"My queen?"

I can tell she is concerned and I have no way to comfort her as these feelings riot inside of me.

The stone stables come into view and I sigh in relief to see my gentle mare, Alba, is already stood near the gate, her head held by a stable hand. It has been too long since I last rode her, but she looks well and her dappled grey coat gleams in the sunlight. I watch her ears prick forward in interest as she sights me, and cannot help my smile. 

There is a slight commotion behind her as a boy fights to hold the head of Trix, Alessia's wild war horse. She fights for control and paws the ground as if freedom from them is her right.

Alessia chuckles and grabs the reins as Trix goes to rear again, effectively holding her down. Trix snorts and prances back a few paces before finally accepting her mistress's hand and nuzzling into her.

It has always been a wonder to me that a beast so strong can change on an instant in the hands of one she trusts.

As Alessia swings up into the saddle, she glances pointedly at me and I hurry to the step, climbing up onto Alba with slightly less ease and far less grace. 

Alessia nods to the mounted guard who joins us and I sigh. Although I would have preferred to speak to her alone, there is no such thing as truly alone now I am Queen.

I click my tongue and Alba sets off at a trot down the path that runs parallel with the woods. We soon pick up speed and as she breaks into a gallop, I feel as though I can finally breathe again. For the first time in a long time, I do not feel watched. I do not feel as though everyone is waiting for me to misstep. I finally feel free.

Alessia doesn't say anything as her wild horse easily keeps pace with mine and I ease up to a trot again.

The guards with us are just far enough back that I feel safe to explain. 

"I received another note." I tell her.

Her sharp look tells me she is not impressed I kept this to myself, but she's too busy running scenarios in her head to be truly angry at me. "From who? Where?"

"Just after the speech. A child said a cloaked man asked her to give it to me. She didn't see his face and she couldn't point him out either before you ask." I say, already anticipating her questions.

"You should have said something immediately so I could question her." Alessia grumbles. 

"I doubt you would discover anymore than I." I sigh.

She makes a noise that tells me she disagrees, "What did the note say?" 

"It is more about what it contained," I say worriedly, "A map with a light fae seal, no family name unfortunately. It shared our defences and numbers. Who it was for and whether it made it into their hands, I do not know." A sigh slips out of me as I look back over my shoulder at the castle, "I fear our home is not safe anymore."