Chapter 10: "... it seems I forgot."

Start from the beginning

Joy looked down at her grey-coloured cat. I can feel her sadness. Why did her dad didn't bring his cat?

"He's been our security guard for years now. Do you trust Gordon?" Dion asked.

Joy nodded with tears in her eyes, "I guess..."

Dion took his sister's head to his chest and kissed on top of her head, "I know it's hard."

"Why do we need to move out?" Joy asked.

Dion sighed before answering, "You'll understand later."

Joy pulled away while she wiped her tears, "Do you notice father's changed? He's always hard on me now."

"Yeah, and I know how it feels," Dion took Joy by her shoulders and looked at her in the eyes, "It's tough at first, but you'll manage. Father teaches you mannerisms and stuff because you're getting older."

"Why?" Joy asked, "I don't wanna get older."

"Everybody gets older, Joy," Dion sighed, "I hate to see you sad like this. I will start to call you Gloomy from now on if you keep that smile upside down."

"No!" Joy hit her brother playfully.

Dion gets up and takes her stuff, "come on now, father's waiting."

Joy wiped her tears as she took her cat with her. We followed behind them, "When did this happen?"

"Two months after her mother died."

Two months? Yikes, isn't that too early to move out?

"Why do they have to move out?" I asked Kinsley.

Kinsley smiled at me and put her hand on my shoulder, "I'd love you to answer, but you're waking up soon."

"What?"

~~~

"Wake up, idiot," A voice woke me up. I look up, and Joy, with her hand folded in front of her chest with Rebecca beside her, "finally. Let's go," she said to her friend and left the class. I looked around to see that I was already alone. Wait, how did I sleep without Mrs Anna getting mad at me? Maybe because I was too exhausted.

By the way, what did I forget? Gosh, I hope it isn't important.

I grabbed all of my things and got out of the class. I went to my locker and met Jessie on the way. When I was done putting my books inside, we went to the parking lot.

I stopped at my car and looked at her, "I'll see you on Monday, Jess."

"Haha, funny. See you later," Jessie rolled her eyes and went inside her car.

What was that supposed to be?

I dismissed the thoughts and went inside my car.

***

After taking a shower, I jumped to my bed and played music on my phone—Something In The Way, by Nirvana.

"Underneath the bridge

Tarp has sprung a leak

And the... animals I've trapped

Have all become my pets"

The thought of Joy having to leave her house two months after her mother died ran around my head. Why?

I could see the difference in his dad's expression when her mom was still alive and dead.

Before his wife died, I could see the happiness on his face. He must be tired after work, taking care of his children when his wife was still in the hospital because I could see through his smile. He hides his tiredness for the sake of his wife. But after her wife died, he was empty. I even couldn't describe the feeling.