CHAPTER 70 ↠ family meeting

Start from the beginning

"Item number two. An announcement, regarding Michael."

"Before you go on, Tommy, there's something I'd like to say to the whole family directly, regarding finances and the future of this company."

Polly glances at Gina, already being sure that whatever Michael was interrupting Tommy for, came from her head.

"According to your own estimations, this new venture of the delivery and shipment of opium will bring into the company around £2 million per year. Therefore, due to the amounts involved, I think this company should be restructured."

"Michael, I think this can wait till outside the family meeting," Polly says with a warning tone.

"Restructured in what way?" Tommy asks, encouraging Michael to go on.

"Because of the amounts of money involved," Gina speaks, instead of Michael, "shipment and dispatch will become the primary source of income to the company. It's simple mathematics."

Michael then stands up and gets behind Gina, putting his hands on her shoulders.

"And with the help of my wife, I will organise an expansion into America, where the narcotics business is just beginning to grow. See, I have very good contacts in Detroit, New York, Boston, who I've already spoken to about this. And Gina has family who are very experienced in this kind of business."

Bea looks at her own father, who's staring at Michael without blinking, taking in his every word. Then she looks at Tommy, who has his brows furrowed, probably wondering how Michael would even dare, after everything, going behind his back. Polly is just staring at Gina.

"According to the conversations I've had with them," Michael continues, "with a regular supply of pure opium from China, within a short space of time, the American narcotics business will bring in 20 million per annum. Enough money for you to all enjoy an easing of the burden you all now feel."

Polly now looks at Tommy, who looks away, done with Michael conversation. Arthur finishes his drink.

"See, I know that the scars and the wounds, they're on the inside, not on the outside," Michael says pointing to his head. "And as a member of the new generation, I'm able to take that great burden off your weary shoulders."

Bea sees Finn looking over at Tommy.

"A new decade is coming. There'll be new opportunities in new territories. More money than we've ever had before," he pauses for a couple of seconds. "Tommy, you can still do the good work that deep down you want to do. Mum, you can get married and live in that big house."