CHAPTER 69 ↠ a haunted spy

The day came when Tommy was meeting Jimmy McCavern again

The day came when Tommy was meeting Jimmy McCavern again. This time, Arthur would also stop by.

Isaiah knew about it, as he was going to be on the same boat Arthur would arrive in, with Uncle Charlie and Curly.

Since Isaiah knew, and he had told Bea about the other meeting Tommy had with McCavern before when she was away, this time was no different. As soon as he found out, Isaiah went to meet Bea and told her the when and where of the meeting.

From where she was, Bea couldn't hear what they were saying at all. But at least she could see them. She could see the man that killed her brother. Arthur showed up, with his gun, acting crazy, but did not shoot McCavern.

All Bea heard, when Jimmy was already leaving on the boat Arthur had arrived in, was Arthur saying 'Shoot Oswald Mosley'. At the words, Bea ducked even more where she was hiding. As they talked, Tommy looked around, making sure no one could hear them, which was true since Bea couldn't hear what they were saying anymore.

As Tommy left, Bea sneaked out in another direction. When she got to the street, she was Isaiah, standing and fidgeting his hands.

"Why did you hide?" Isaiah asks. "I figured you'd speak to Tommy about it and watch it with his knowledge."

"You think Tommy would let me come?" Bea asks with a chuckle. "He doesn't want me anywhere near McCavern."

"Let's go," Isaiah then says, putting a hand on Bea's back and moving away. "You weren't supposed to be hiding there."

"Sorry, I thought you knew I would," Bea says, apologetic that he gave her information thinking she'd follow another course of action. "But it's done and no one saw me."

"I saw you! Charlie and Curly could have seen you, too. And if McCavern had seen you..."

"He's at peace with Tommy. He doesn't kill anyone, no one kills him or any other Billy Boy."

"Still shouldn't be laying his eyes on you. Not after what he did."

"That I agree with you," Bea says with a small smile. "Thanks for telling me."

"You know I would. Just don't let Tommy find out."

"After spying on him? No way. I'd lose the job I don't even have yet."

"Great, let's go."

The get to the Betting Shop and both go straight to Finn's office. They walk in without knocking and find Finn with his nose in a line of snow along with another man Bea had seen around but never talked to.