PROLOGE ↠ running away

Beatrice Gold, known as Bea, the daughter of Aberama Gold was born on December 1908

Beatrice Gold, known as Bea, the daughter of Aberama Gold was born on December 1908. Her older brother Bonnie was the prodigy of their father. She and her two older sisters were living in London as Aberama and Bonnie traveled, as the Gypsies they were.

Being the baby of the family, Bea often acted like a stubborn, spoiled girl. Being a beauty also didn't help, for with each compliment, her ego grew. Her golden, blonde hair stood out, since her sisters, as well as Bonnie, had dark hair. Her hazel eyes, just like her brother's, captivated those who took a glimpse.

At her mother's aunt's house in London, she was practicing piano, when her sister Esmeralda came running in with a letter from Bonnie.

The three sisters gathered on the couch and she read it.

"Bonnie says he and father are in Small Heath, hired by the Peaky Blinders."

"Peaky Blinders? Father has business with them?" Bea asks surprised.

"Bonnie doesn't say much else other than they're both alright and that father will try to negotiate with the leader of the Peaky's to have Bonnie train as a professional boxer."

"When are we seeing them?" Bea asks eagerly.

"It says nothing about seeing them."

They couldn't speak much more because their aunt called Bea to the room next door, where she painted.

"This is Mr. Jack Bradley," her aunt introduces when Bea gets in the room.

"Mr. Bradley." Bea greets politely.

"You are going to paint him."

"I am?" she asks surprised.

"Yes. He's staying overnight and you'll finish the painting tomorrow."

"But a portrait takes longer than two days."

"Make it work. I know you can," her aunt says and then leaves the room.

Silence fell in the room as the doors were closed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you weren't expecting me."

"No problem at all, Mr. Bradley. I will do my best."

"Please, call me Jack."

"Are you new in London, Jack?" she asks as she puts on her apron.

"Yes. My father wanted me to come and expand his business to London."

"Well, welcome then." Bea moves around, picking up everything she needed for the painting.

"You paint often?"

"A bit every day."

"And do you have portraits of yourself?" he asks.

"... No."

"Such a beauty should have a hundred portraits saved for eternity."

Bea smiled. She was used to hear compliments, but not such as that one.

"Are these yours?" he asks looking around.

"Yes."

"Very talented. How old are you?"

"17."

"Just 17? You must be a genius."

"I am no genius. There's a lot lacking to be considered a genius." Bea gets closer to him, holds his wrists slightly and moves him. She makes him stand near a chair and look at her. "Stay very still, Jack Bradley."

Only at dinner time were they bothered. And after dinner, Bea was called to her aunt's room for tea, just the two of them.

"What do you think of Mr. Bradley?"

"A great model for a painting. Would be a little helpful if he didn't try to speak much."

"Make sure you speak more with him tomorrow."

"Why? I need him quite still to paint him."

"Because, dear Beatrice, you are going to marry him."

"Marry him? Why? Since when? Does father know?"

"You father doesn't need to know. He left you with me so I could raise you and make you presentable to marry well. Which is exactly what I'm doing."

"But Jack Bradley is too old for me."

"Nonsense. He's just 27. You'll suit him perfectly well."

"Esmeralda is 27, why doesn't she marry him?"

"Esmeralda is too old for him. Her only hope for her is to find a widower with children."

"But why? Why do I have to marry?"

"Ah, Beatrice. Don't whine about it. Bradley is the best suitor for you. He has a lot of money, his whole family does. And he is ready to take over his family business, which will make him even wealthier. It could be worse, Beatrice. He is quite handsome and very well mannered, you see."

"But I don't want to marry him."

"You will marry him and bring money to this family. That is why I raised you, why I invested so much time and money in you and your education. Your sisters didn't get half the chances you did."

"I haven't even traveled the world yet."

"And? You're a woman, Beatrice. You're not meant to travel, you're meant to marry."

The argument wasn't going anywhere, and Bea ended up going to bed annoyed. And she couldn't sleep that night, not even when everyone else was and the house was evolved in dead silence.

"Aunt Margaret?" Esmeralda called out next morning as she went down for breakfast.

"Please, Esmeralda, don't scream. We have guests in this house." Their aunt says as Esmeralda gets to the dining room.

The girls' aunt and Jack Bradley were quietly eating.

"I'm sorry, aunt Margaret. I was just... Bea's bed is empty and I can't find her."

"What do you mean you can't find her?" Their aunt asks in disbelieve.

"Well... she isn't upstairs and she isn't in the piano room or the painting room... And there's a few clothes missing from her closet.