CHAPTER 56 ↠ anger after

Bea didn't sleep much and woke up startled after dreaming of Bonnie, asking her for help

She got ready very slowly, but the funeral would only start when she got there either way, so there was no concern. She dressed in the only black dress she had and put on a black hat Polly lend her.

When she got out of her room and down the stairs, Polly and Michael were already ready and waiting for her, both in silence, still at war with each other over the reason why he came back to Birmingham and what had allegedly happened on the ship.

"Would you like to eat something?" Polly asks when she sees Bea. "There's breakfast still at the table."

"I just want to go."

"You should eat something," Polly insists. "Just a little bit."

"Let's just go."

"If you don't want to pass out during the funeral, eat something," Michael says strongly.

"What if I pass out? What does that matter?"

"Eat or I'm not driving you."

Bea closes her eyes and exhales loudly. When she opens them up she looks at Polly who nods.

Bea goes to the table and pours herself a cup of tea. As she drinks, she bites on a piece of bread, that hardly goes by her throat.

"Isn't Gina coming?" Bea asks.

"No. She doesn't want to be around a ceremony such as this one while she's pregnant."

"She's pregnant?" Bea asks surprised, but with a weak voice.

"Yes, you didn't know?"

"No. But, congratulations."

"Thank you."

"Is someone picking up Aberama from the hospital?" Bea asks Polly.

"No, he left the hospital," Polly says.

"So, he's going on his own?"

"I suppose," Polly lies.

Bea didn't have more energy to ask more questions. She'd ask them to Aberama himself when they'd meet.

They headed for the car and Michael drove. No one spoke the whole ride. During the ride, the numbness in Bea turned into anger. She was going on her way to burn Bonnie's lifeless body, along with his things. She shouldn't have to watch that happen.