CHAPTER 70 ↠ family meeting

Start from the beginning

The door of the tavern opens again, and this time Uncle Charlie gets in.

"Are you all right, Charlie?" Curly asks standing up.

"Mad bastard Barney kicked me in the shin when I woke him up," Charlie explains.

"Where is the mad bastard?" Curly asks.

"He's tied to a lamp post outside with three Lee boys, shitting themselves."

"You tied him up to a post?" Bea interferes. "Man has just been released into freedom and you tie him up to a post?!"

"You want to deal with him, you go out there," Uncle Charlie suggests.

"Tommy doesn't want me around him."

"I don't want you around him," Aberama speaks up quickly. "Why the fuck would you be around him in the first place?"

"Ask Tommy. He's the one who asked me to go with him and get Barney in the first place."

"You went to get him?"

"With Tommy, yes. Part of my new job."

"What is your new job?" Aberama keeps shooting the questions.

"Classified."

"She won't even tell me," Finn says putting a hand at the nape of her neck. "No matter how much I ask."

"Good thing I don't. I don't want anything to reach the ears of your new mate Billy."

Finn rolls his eyes and removes her hand, knowing that Bea was somewhat upset by what Arthur had said outside the tavern, and thinking there was no reason for her to be.

Quiet fills the room for only a few moments as Tommy then walks in and goes to stand in front of the fire, facing everyone.

"First of all, an apology from Lizzie - she can't be here. Charles has a violin concert," Tommy explains before starting. "Also, a welcome to Mr Aberama Gold. Aberama and Polly are to be married in three weeks, with my blessing. From now on, Aberama will be welcome at our meetings," Tommy informs. "And Bea... well, we'll talk after the meeting and see if you'll continue to be welcomed, but, for this one, she is."

Bea furrows her brows to Tommy, understanding there is a matter he wants to discuss with her that could cost her the fact of being welcomed in the meetings.

She looks over at Michael, trying to keep sureness in herself that she will be welcomed at the family meeting no matter what.

"First item of business, a bereavement," Tommy starts. "Colonel Ben Younger, who may perhaps have become a member of this family, was taken from us, four days ago, by dark forces. We've made some investigations, and we think we know who planted the bomb. In the meantime, our thoughts are with Ada and the baby inside of her, who may one day sit at these meetings, but hopefully under happier circumstances."

"Let's drink to happier circumstances," Polly says.

"Yeah," Arthur agrees. "To Ada."

Everyone chants the same, even Gina, and they all take a sip of their drink.

Tommy coughs lightly before carrying on.