Chapter 15 (50%)

The moment he had reached the finish line, and the air of joyful celebration on the podium that followed their first victory still lingered in her mind, creating a permanent place in her memory. The newcomer who had just entered the world of speed racing now fully appreciated why people risked their lives for this sport, and why every staff member worked tirelessly for it, travelling away from home all over the world, just for this moment that she had gotten to experience herself.

'You brought me luck.'

'I'm not your mascot.'

'I meant the kiss,' Myles specified, 'if I kiss you every race, we will get the world champ title, no doubt.'

And even a skeptic like her had started to believe when he took victory at the second circuit. He waved at the crowd from the podium and kissed the hairband he had stolen from her to wear around his wrist before the race.

Still, she couldn't get used to Myles' kiss. And no matter how hard she tried to avoid it, he would find a way to get to her at every circuit. If Henry failed to pin her down, he would wreak havoc. Eventually, Niksa came to accept her new duty.

The fact that Myles revealed his face on the podium for his victory sips had become a talk as much as his performance on the grid. Seeing that he remained confident, untouched by anyone's opinions on his appearance, be it positive or negative, Niksa rested easy. She was relieved that they weren't affecting him on or off the track.

'It looks like you have abandoned your tradition of kissing a reporter or a grid girl before the race, Myles?' a male reporter bantered during the live interview from Shanghai International Circuit.

'Who said that I have?'

'Well, can you tell us more?'

'I'm sorry, it's a secret.' the driver teased.

Niksa hoped it had really been a secret. Nobody had confronted her about it, but she felt seen every time Stella, Henry, or even Giuseppe and George gave her a smile.

In the past two months, Niksa travelled back and forth between the UK and Australia, Asia, and Europe. She started to value her health more. Luckily, she was surrounded by people like Myles and Henry. During the off-race weeks, she would join them in trekking, cycling, or tennis in Myles' backyard.

The change that brought about was the alleviated menstrual cramps. Niksa remembered how guilty she had felt when she couldn't accompany him in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix because of the paralysing pain she had felt. His panicked reaction was also clear in her memory. He had called his mother right away. She had been very touched, but also humiliated.

'I had no idea this was a thing. Nobody in my family experiences this. Are you sure that you will be okay?' he narrowed his eyes, still not convinced.

'Yes. When I feel better, I will catch up with you at the circuit.'

'Oh, shut up.'

He had not just demanded verbally as he had kissed her pale lips, making them blush.

'There, you have done your job,' he had said as he had backed away.

But the magic had been lost this time. Myles had come in fourth place in that circuit. He had given a short interview before walking away to the motorhome. Niksa had made a vow to take better care of her health since.

Whether or not her kisses had brought him luck, she really wished to be right by his side every race, being there for him in every one of his victories and defeats.

Despite having moved to work in England, she almost didn't have any time to meet up with her friends from school. When Niksa got some down time, she thought of Lucy. Ever since the day she had generously picked her up from the airport, they hadn't seen each other again.