Chapter 2

The rest of the night was quiet for the most part. I had told Matteo and Willow, before we all decided to get some rest, about what I had heard over the radio and what Joan said. They had been quite shocked and just as confused as I had felt when I found out. Afterwards, Matteo asked if there was anything else, but I just told him I had left right after, which was pretty much the truth, and then we turned out the light, hoping to get some sleep.

Although, sleep didn't come for a while. 

I tossed and turned, the previous evening's events playing like a record inside my head. But once my mind finally calmed down, I fell into unconsciousness and I was out until the sound of Willow shifting about me had woken me up.

I yawned and stretched out all of my limbs as I sat up, and swung my legs over the side of my bed, my feet connecting with the cool floor. The temperature sent a shiver to run up my spine and I reached over to snatch my watch and look at the time. After seeing that it was nearing seven forty-five, I stood up and ran a hand across my face as I walked over to the light switch near the door and turned it on.

Matteo rolled his head to the side and let out a groan before planting his face back into the pillow.

"Look who's the tired one now," I said with a chuckle while picking up my basket and heading to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

I heard Matteo let out another groan, this one louder than the last, yet slightly muffled by the pillow, which warranted another laugh to bubble up in my throat, before the bathroom door closed behind me.

I immediately changed into some clean clothes, washed my face, and then brushed through my hair and my teeth. I then placed my hair up into a high ponytail before packing up the basket again and leaving the bathroom so someone else could use it next.

Willow passed me as I held the door open for her and I sat down on my bed, my eyes landing on a more conscious Matteo. His dark hair was completely disheveled, but his blue eyes were more alert as they landed on me.

"What are you going to do about your boyfriend?" he asked, glancing toward the door.

I shrugged and slipped my shoes on. "I don't know. I'm still kind of mad."

Matteo nodded and looked at the ground. "Yeah, you should be. He's a monster, just like the rest of them."

My hands, which were tying my shoes, dropped the laces and I shook my head as I looked up at him. "No, I'm not mad at him. I'm just... well, I don't know."

"What do you mean?" Matteo's brows furrowed. "Zack literally told you that they buy children. How are you not mad at him?"

My mind spun as my heart rate sped up slightly. I didn't know how to feel. I know that I felt mad, but I'm not a hundred percent sure who I should be mad at.

I bit down on the inside of my cheek as I shrugged at Matteo's question. "I don't know. I just need some time."

Wyatt, who had been listening in on our conversation, jumped down from the bed above Matteo and grabbed his basket from under the bottom bed. He then looked over at me, frowning heavily while standing back up.

"I think you should just avoid him for a little bit," Wyatt said. "If you still care about him then just stay away before things get way worse."

I nodded and watched Wyatt give me a small smile before he swapped spots with Willow and I resumed tying my shoes. As the door closed behind Wyatt, Willow walked by Matteo, and messed up his hair some more before plopping herself next to me.

I sat back up with a smile on my face after I finished knotting my shoes and watched Matteo glare at her while trying to straighten out his hair. He then opened his mouth to say something when a knock made us turn our attention to the door. We all looked between each other, sharing silent words, before the door opened a moment later to reveal Zack on the other side.

My heart immediately plummeted as my eyes landed on him.

It wasn't because of the events that happened the day before, nor the fact that there were two guns strapped down to each of his thighs along with knife handles protruding out of all of his pockets, but because of the way he looked and held himself.

His shoulders were hunched and there were dark bags under his grey eyes, way worse than the last time I had seen him. His platinum blond hair looked as though it had been sort of brushed through, but it was still very messy and his face looked slack as his tired eyes locked onto my own.

We were silent as we stared at each other. I could feel the tension growing between all four of us in the room until Zack finally broke it, his voice sounding very monotone.

"I need you three to come with me."