Carack Ch9 p1

Chapter 9 M’zera

The Brownie returned the next day with just one woman with him, she was wrapped in shawls and her body stooped, her movements were listless. A stray curl of jet blck hair escape from under her head shawl to hang in her eyelashes but she was too listless to brush it away. N’zar helped her gently from the pony and holding her close he took her inside. Cam, Wampa and Gerent wandered out onto the castle walls to give them some privacy. Cam stood looking out between the banners, which were hanging loosely for want of wind, and seemed to be studying the landscape around the castle as he rotated slowly to take in each side of Widnbrea. Soon after N’zar came out and spoke with Cam who nodded and went indoors, N’zar came up to Gerent and Wampa.

‘My sister has told me that my mother hast passed away, apparently she fell ill after they were both questioned about our disappearance and did not  recover. I have asked Cam to sit with my sister as she has a strong affection for him, but please join them. Cam has not seen any sign of anyone approaching the castle but methinks we need keep watch from now on. I must speak with Umberstan and the other Brownies and we will draw up a watch rota so we can all know our duties.’ N’zar strode off toward the kitchen before either of them could say anything. Wampa and Gerent looked at each other and went into the living room, as they entered they saw Cam and M’zera sat close together with M’zera’s, now uncovered, head resting on Cam’s chest. Spotting Wampa and Gerent come into the room the two almost leapt apart. Cam had a guilty look and M’zera kept her head hung down. From what he could see Gerent thought that M’zera was very like her two brothers, with dark hair and black eyes, dark skin and tall. Her face was finely featured but looked wise and strong; she looked about seventeen or eighteen to Gerent. Cam rose and introduced them to N’zar’s sister.

‘M’zera this is uh, Hugh and Wampa. Hugh is the one to fulfil the prophecy, who was in Madron’s castle, you heard N’zar speak of him and Wampa-’

‘I know Wampa,’ said the girl gently and stepped forward to kiss his cheek, ‘he has helped me many times in the market, how are you friend?’

Wampa touched his forelock and bobbed, ‘Well mam, I thank you. Pleased the see you well mam and sorry the here about your mother, fine woman, fine.’

M’zera then turned to shake hands with Gerent but said not a word to him and she sat on the settle at once.

‘I hope you were not too startled by the rownie tuning up and brining you here so suddenly.’ said Gerent trying to think of something to say.

‘I thank thee, no, having my brother greet me was a great comfort and I have other friends here.’ She replied in a cold manner and Gerent felt snubbed.

‘Be like that’, he thought. Cam sensing something was wrong said ‘Hugh saved all of us on the hillside above Netherzoyland and is one of us now.’

‘Indeed.’ Replied the girl nodding her head slowly once, but she did not give Gerent one glance.

‘Thinks she’s bloomin’ royalty,’ Gerent said to himself and then told Camomile, ‘I’m going to see how Sancret is.’ And he left the three of them in the living room.

He wandered upstairs to Sancret’s room and opening the door gently he saw Meendhu sat beside Sancret, who was a at table rading from a huge book open in frot of him and making notes. Meendhu nudged him as Gerent entered and he looked up.

‘Gerent, have M’zera and her mother arrived then?’ he said and Gerent explained the M’zera was on her own and that her mother was dead.

‘But N’zar and I looked at them only a few days ago. It was just after they had been questioned, for we saw them return from the castle with some of the guards. N’zar’s mother seemed well then. But she was elderly I suppose.’ he concluded.

Umberstan appeared in front of them and gve a short hasty bow.

‘Mage Sancret there are wagons approaching from the north east, a train of wagons.’

Sancret sat up and peered out over the low walls of the room.

‘It cannot be Madron, why would he come from the northeast and why would he have wagons? His army would surely lead the way. Umberstan as soon as they are closer to the castle ground send out some Brownies to see what these wagons are, but make sure they are not seen.’

‘Already deployed Mage!’ answered Umberstan smartly and saluted. Gerent held back a laugh but Sancret looked surprised.

‘Already what?’

‘Deployed, Mage. N’zar said -’

‘Ah N’zar,’ said Sancret as if in that one word all was made clear to him, ‘Well, well done Umberstan, let me know the moment a Brownie returns with news.’

‘Yes sir!’ answered Umberstan, saluting once more and then disappearing. Gerent and Meendhu laughed, Sancret smiled and then pondered:

‘I wondered who it is? I shall have to go down I suppose and leave this.’

‘You do not have to,’ came the bear’s gruff reply, ‘as far as I can see N’zar has it all under control, you can just stay here and carry on studying if you wish’

‘I’ll go down and send a message back via the brownies’ said Gerent, who wanted to see the wagons and he ran he spiral stairway and out onto the castle walls There he could see a line of what looked like black dots winding down the far hillside of the north eastern edge of the wide valley that was spread out in front of Widnbrea. Slowly the wagons all reached the level ground and began heading directly for Widnbrea. Gerent went back inside to Sancret to tell him there were five wagons with no visible escort of riders or an army. This intrigued them more but all they could do was wait for the Brownie to reappear, however before one did N’zar entered the room.

‘It wouldst appear that these wagons contain refugees Mage Sancret, tis my wish to go and meet with them out on the plain and ask their intent. The Brownies have reported to me, I thought to spare you. They say they cannot glean much more from spying. It would seem there is no guard to speak of around or following the wagons. Is it thy wish I should go?’

‘Go,’ replied Sancret ‘and find out what they want and why they have come here. I thank you N’zar, take care.’

N’zar made a short bow and spun round on his heel to march off. It was obvious he had fully assumed the role of captain of the castle guard. Gerent went back out onto the castle walls to watch N’zar ride out, alone, carrying a long tall banner. It took N’zar about fifteen minutes to ride across the plain and reach the wagons as they were still some way off. As N’zar came close to them Gerent could see all the wagons halt and someone walk forward fom them to talk with N’zar. Earnest discussions seemed to go on as N’zar leant forward on his pony’s neck to speak to the person from the wagons. Eventually N’zar turned the pony back toward the castle and the figure walked back to the wagons, which after a short pause began to move forward once more. N’zar then walked his pony alongside the lead wagon as though he were escorting them to the castle.