So she tried something else. She revealed how his Mother got rid of his childhood caretaker.

He finally looked up; eyes went wide. His life before he was pulled away for prince duties or learned the ways of the vain. His being always in the cradle of his elder nanny, his small hands being held gently and firmly as he walked behind the castle gardens, in the meadows not far from his castle. He could even hear his own laughter and his nanny's. Until one day, no warnings, no goodbyes, he received a new caretaker, chosen by his Mother. Frantically, he searched around the castle, the gardens and the meadows as though he could find his nanny. As though his tiny feet could catch up to her somehow. He felt sad and longing at first, but eventually grew bitter. He thought he was betrayed but it seemed his beloved nanny was the one being stabbed.

But all the shock vanished as he thought further, a look of slow anger surfacing. "You knew this all along. Why—"

"It had nothing to do with the Silverstorm's interest", Scarlet simply said.

"But all those other men, you had helped them. I've noticed too".

"Their woes align with this Kingdom's needs".

Dylan slowly calmed down. His mind working, "And now you need me to be King, for your own benefit". He didn't like this. He loathed this, not when it was just another guise to be used. Then, she was no different than that Collins General.

Scarlet nodded, "Lets sum it up that way. Your Mother is a thorn, not just on you but on us too". Then, the Scar Captain raised from her seat, "Isn't that good for you? You could rule your land however you want, bring as many maidens as you'd like, have a ball all day for all I care".

"What if I become a tyrant?"

Scarlet eyed him up and down with a smirk. He felt seen. Her eyes. He saw them in his so-called friends when they gawked at ladies. He hated to admit... But he had done the same. "You're not capable of it". Scarlet almost snorted. Well, he had come up with such a thought but a tyrant wouldn't admit he's a tyrant. "Your people would revolt easily if it comes to that. Besides, if you truly are a tyrant, you would've longed be rid of your Mother and your half-brother. You would've made my job easier".

He was rendered speechless and shame. And standing here on his own in the territory of the Scar Captain, was he asking to be skinned alive? He had encountered her on her rooftop, had the audacity to injure her. And now even if the opportunity presented himself. He was the one footed, scared to make a single move.

"By the way", Scarlet had pulled up a ring of various keys, the sounds jingling in the room. "About the intruder, I think you have met her, in the past".

Another off-guard comment, "What are you talking about?"

"The perpetrator. It's a she", she was standing in front of him, "And I'm amazed how sloppy her attempt was", then Scarlet dangled a string of bejewelled necklace with the Pyrus' emblem engraved. "Either as a charm or protection, necklace is impractical in our line of works". Dylan was still trying to process all these revelations, "Lets meet your former mistress".

The former mistress of what Scarlet claimed was looking frail, her hair ragged. But she seemed to be faring well.

"Your Prince is here".

Scarlet and Dylan stepped into the cell. The stench and the overall place were usually unpleasant and dreary. Dylan was controlling his urge from covering his nose.

"As handsome as always, Your Highness".

Dylan couldn't recall. If he had his way with her, at least he would've remembered her beauty. After all, he only coveted the ones he deemed eye-candy in his vision. But the stench and the dim and the way they had outdone her, he almost didn't want to recognise that all this while, this potential killer had once slept under the same cover as him. Or was it a ruse?