26 | Sunday, July 4th, 10:29 PM

"The President is shitting his pants

"The President is shitting his pants. Atticus, Austen, I don't think you'll need to pull him away, he's leaving the party and heading downstairs," Lizzie says through my earbud.

"So where can we intercept?" Atticus asks.

"Let's see where he stops..." she mumbles. The line is silent for a good thirty seconds and I make myself busy fixing a tray of cookies. "He's in the library. Reception room is still our meeting place. Ripley, are you good to move in?"

"Yah, I just need to grab the next tray," I say quietly, playing up my role as a party attendant.

"It's on the table under the painting of George Washington," Atticus says.

"Alright Ripley, start making your way to the service corridor..." Lizzie orders and I follow, skirting around people dressed in finery and drinking expensive alcohol. My eyes land on the Hybrid and Black Widow but I avert my eyes before they notice. "Alright, three, two, one—cameras are ours; we have five minutes before the feed loops and security notices. Get the package downstairs."

I make a split turn before the kitchens and hurry into the private dining room, eyes scanning the dark space before they land on Washington's unsmiling face. I rush over to the table and grab the decorative wooden box, it's contents rattling slightly.

"Got it. Am I clear?"

"Yes—No! Wait. Hybrid is making her way out. She's checking rooms. Hide."

Well fuck.

I hurry towards the table and drop, holding my breath when light floods into the room by the open door. It shuts again almost immediately but I wait a moment before popping back up.

"Now am I good?"

"Yah, you're good now, but looks like she's looking for the President."

I take a breath before opening the door. "Just tell me if she heads my way."

I step silently down the stairs, peeking my head around the corner and watching as she opens door after door. Finally, she reaches the last, but pauses. I whip my head back around the stairs, listening for any indication that she knows I'm here.

Instead, I hear the door open.

"Move in now. I'll meet you in the Reception Room."

I follow the order and hurry down the hall silently, placing the box on an antique-looking wooden table a few feet from the door.

I hear someone shout inside the room and my eyes fly to the door.

Is she okay in there?

I pause.

Why would I care?

She can take care of herself.

I spin and hurry down the hall, taking a right into a large oval room painted in bright colors. I press myself against the wall and wait until I hear a three-beat knock on the door. I repeat it and the door swings open, revealing Lizzie who rushes in with a tablet in hand.