13 Days Until the New Moon

Zacznij od początku

"And you," he leaned in closer and smiled flirtatiously, "will be a wonderful High Lady".

With that my face turned from warm to hot, and I quickly turned away so that Jeb wouldn't see the redness bursting to my cheeks. However I could tell by the way he chuckled as he walked away that I had not turned fast enough. I was certain that he went home thinking he had left me completely wooed.

I continued on with my day pushing thoughts of Jeb and our supposed future together out of my mind. All my efforts were made useless however when I had to attend Prayer that afternoon. I sat cross legged between Blythe and Aldon on the temple floor looking up at my soon to be father-in-law as he recited prayers in the ancient language. I repeated after him without even thinking about it. The words were so engrained into us that speaking them involved more muscle memory than intentional action.

Jeb walked around the room carrying the Holy Chalice, stopping in front of each individual so that they could take their sip. All children above the age of five were to take a sip from the Holy Chalice every day during prayer, it was one of Lord's laws. When Jeb stopped in front of me I stared at the cup in his hands rather than making eye contact with him. Even so, I could feel his gaze watching me. I carefully took the chalice from him and raised it to my lips. The liquid is thick, and warm, and odd tasting. I hold the chalice out towards Jeb and he brushes the back of my hand with his thumbs in a very deliberate manner as he takes it back. I look down at my feet as my cheeks grow warm again. I hoped that he hadn't seen my colour change but his short, stifled laugh told me that he did. If I didn't soon learn to control my embarrassment around this boy he would end up thinking I was in love with him, and I certainly was not.

As soon as Jeb offered the chalice to the last citizen the Holy House Bell rang out. Everyone jumped to their feet, half concerned and half confused. It was much too early for the bell to be ringing, the sun was only just beginning to set. The tension in the crowd was palpable. People whispered to their neighbors with trembling voices.

What is happening?

Where is Lord?

Should we leave now?

"My people," his voice boomed down onto us, silencing everyone instantly. In unison we looked up to see Lords eyes glaring down at us from above the temple walls. "There is a great threat in the woods beyond our village. You must all return home immediately and shut your curtains. Blessed Ones, report to the Holy House, I will need your prayers to help me protect us all".

"What do you think the threat is?" I whispered, grabbing onto Blythe's arm as the crowd erupted into a near panic around us, "do you think it's really that bad?"

"Of course it is," she snapped, fear rising in her voice, "Lord wouldn't just ring the bell early for nothing. I have to get home right now and so do you". She pulled away from me and disappeared into the crowd. I suddenly realized that I would have to go home and spend the night alone, while some unnamed threat lurked outside. I felt frozen with fear as everyone around me hurried about bumping into me on their way out of the temple. I felt a hand gently squeeze my shoulder and looked up to see Aldon staring down at me with that half pitying smile again.

"You can spend the night at my house if you don't want to go home alone," he whispered in my ear. We both knew if anyone heard him it would be considered quite scandalous. I nodded and he kept his hand on my shoulder as he led me through the crowd and out of the temple.

I stayed close to Aldon as we hurried back to his house. So close that we almost tripped in each other's feet a few times, but he didn't seem to mind. As soon as I burst through his door I felt a wave of relief wash over me. He bolted the door shut and I helped him draw all his curtains closed. He lit his oil lamp and I held it for him as he lit the kindling in the fireplace. The logs soon caught ablaze and we both sank to the floor.

Aldon's house didn't have all the homemade décor mine had, but felt homey in it's own way. His furniture was minimal and basic. He liked to say that he sold all his best work and that left him with the boring pieces to bring home for himself. But this only made it feel like a house that wasn't trying to impress anyone. Everything in here was here because Aldon had wanted it, or needed it, and nothing extra. It felt so private, and intimate; like a place that you could truly relax, away from the outside world.

"What do you think is out there?" I asked. Aldon was not as strict as Blythe. He never chastised me for wondering; for questioning.

"I don't know," he said absent mindedly. I studied his features in the light of the fire. He looked so unconcerned, so uninterested. He might not be offended by my curiousity like Blythe and my mother, but he certainly didn't share in it with me.

I turned towards the nearest window, with its curtains carefully closed, and imagined myself opening them, just a little. Whatever was out there I was sure I could handle seeing it, and the very least I could handle it better than I was handling the curiosity burning inside of me, threatening to ignite my entire body.

I wondered what Mother and the other Blessed Ones were doing in the Holy House; had Lord told them anything? Of course he hadn't. Were they in danger? I didn't get to speak to Mother before she left the temple. I didn't get to say good bye, or tell her to be safe. I wondered had this mysterious threat made it inside the village, what could be so horrible that it made even Lord uneasy? I should look out the window. If there is a monster outside we should know, we should be prepared. How can Lord expect us to just sit here in ignorance while danger lurked outside our front door? I wanted to know. My fingers tingled at the thought of pulling back the curtain. I shifted onto my knees, preparing to stand.

As if he could sense my thoughts Aldon declared that he had best go to sleep. He pulled the blanket from the back of his chesterfield and wrapped it around himself as he laid down. He told me that I could sleep in his bed, and bid me goodnight.

I laid in bed but would not sleep. My mind wander3ed too many places, thinking of too many things. I had so many questions and questions were not a good thing to have in this village because there were never any answers.