Eighteen: Fork

Randy

"We're home," Dad called. It was 11:00pm and I was tired. Alas, I had to rip the bandage off.

So, I came downstairs. Mom was the first to see me. She pursed her lips, a head shake accompanying it. Then, Dad noticed and let out an audible, "You've got to be kidding me."

"I wanted to," I answered, even though they never really asked.

"Our Thanksgiving party is Thursday, and you do this now? How are we supposed to explain this to our friends?" Mom inquired.

"Easy; don't. I'm seventeen, I think I can decide for myself simple things, like what color my hair is. Plus, you said you didn't care, anyway. You said to interpret that however I thought it should be interpreted. I did."

While both of my parents gave me death stares, I feigned an innocent smile and went back up to my room. Let the scrape bleed if it means the bandaid is off.

~~~~~

Knox (3 days after Thanksgiving)

"Is it true that Randy is bisexual?" Dad asked as soon as I sat at the table.

I froze. Do I say the truth? "Yes, it is."

"Hm. Dating anyone?"

"Devin's brother." And your son, technically.

"Liam?" Mom questioned, handing me the salmon.

"Correct," I confirmed.

"And, what are your thoughts on this?" Dad inquired. He raised an eyebrow at me.

This might be a trap.

Fuck it. "I believe it's great. They work well together, and it takes a lot of courage to own up to being in the community, and Randy did. He's grown a lot since him and Li began dating."

"So, you've known they were together for how long?"

"Pretty much since the start. That would be around a month ago."

Mom glanced to me. "You're okay with two of your friends being gay?"

"Of course. It's not a choice, first of all, but being gay isn't a crime or something. It's just what you are," I replied, passing Adelaide the mashed potatoes. She was quiet ever since the topic of being gay came up. I had a feeling she knew about me, though didn't want to say anything.

My parents had some sort of conversation with only facial expressions. Addy and I kept watching them like it was a tennis match. Finally, Dad turned to me. "Have you ever been curious of your sexuality?"

Malfunctioning, hold blue button for five seconds. "Uhhhhh..."

Addy bit her lip while I tried to figure out an excuse. Mom gave me a look after about ten seconds of silence that said "Haha, we got you."

"I mean, can you elaborate a little?"

"Have you ever found a man attractive?"

I scrunched my eyebrows. "Where is this coming from?"

Another facial expressions conversation. Mom sighed and said, "We've been going through your phone about once a week while you're showering. A while ago, we found some texts between you, Randy, and Liam about going on a date."

My jaw dropped, along with Addy's. "You're going through my phone?" I shouted.

"Are you going through mine?" Addy asked. And because of course, Mom answered that they don't look at hers.