Three: Ten Trillionth Dance

Liam

To: 19lmccoy@rockefellerschools.org
From: 31hgrimaldi@rockefellerschools.org
Subject: S.O.S.

HELP
I JUST GOT BIT BY MY COUSINS HAMSTER
IT HURTS
IM DYING
SAVE ME

*****

To: 31hgrimaldi@rockefellerschools.org
From: 19lmccoy@rockefellerschools.org
Subject: Re: S.O.S.

I think you'll live

*****

To: 19lmccoy@rockefellerschools.org
From: 31hgrimaldi@rockefellerschools.org
Subject: Re: S.O.S.

I died and it's all your fault Liam Jacob McCoy

*****

"Devin, do you know where my tie is?" I yelled.

Dev came in to my room with an unamused expression across his face. "Dude. You ask this question every morning, only now it isn't green. It's on your chair," he said, pointing to the large chair in the corner, a silver tie on top of it.

"Oh. Thanks. Hey, since this thing is at a winery can we get drunk from the wine?"

"Well, I normally don't encourage underage drinking but considering this is the third wedding in two months...I don't blame you. At least Randy and Knox will be there. Then I'll have people to talk to."

"Ugh. I don't have anyone though."

"CeCe?"

"I'm not talking to my little sister while you're being an extrovert and personable," I responded.

"There's nothing wrong with not liking people."

"Sure, but it gets annoying after a while, you know?"

"You can always hang with us. The invitation has been there forever," Dev reminded me. "And your tie is insanely crooked. Please fix it before we go so I don't need to feel the secondhand embarrassment from you getting laughed at."

I turned back to the mirror to adjust my tie. "I don't like Randy and Knox. I don't like popular kids in general. They annoy me."

Devin rolled his eyes. "First of all, you like me. Also, not all popular people are assholes. I know that in the books you read they are, but really they're just chaotic," he said with a laugh. "Sometimes I wonder if they do drugs or something because my God are they stupid, but they're also really nice. You've met them. How do you not know that?"

"Both of the impressions of them I get in school and when they're here are pompous rich dudes who don't care about anyone's opinions. And yes, it's good to not care what people think, but only to a certain extent. They don't care if they hurt or offend anybody."

"Yes, they do. Trust me. It may not seem like it but they apologize profusely for anything they do. And also, remember that Randy had his parents put the four of us at the same table so you need to put up with them anyway." And with that, Dev walked out.

Time to have some fun.

*****

Apparently the groom's name is Peter.

And Randy's sister picked the most expensive dress she possibly could. According to Devin, it was $130,000. Before the wedding she was asking people if they wanted to feel the baby kick, too. Me and Devin politely declined.

When the ceremony ended, we were instructed to go inside to where a large banquet room was. Sure enough, the four of us were at the same table. Lovely.