Chapter 16

Allie texted Susan the flight details, reminding her not to worry if she was busy with work or the family, she could grab a cab home. In truth she was hoping Susan could make it. The last three days had been a bit lonely, and she was looking forward to seeing a friendly face. Susan messaged back almost immediately to say she would be at arrivals waiting for her tomorrow. Relieved to be near the end of the week, Allie threw herself into the day of seminars and lectures and after a session in the gym packed up her room so she could check out before the last day started.

When she came out of the luggage reclaim she walked through arrivals and saw Susan smiling and waving. Allie hugged her, "I'm so glad to be home Susan. This week's been hard going." Susan gave her hand a squeeze, "Come on then, let's find my car and get you back. We all missed you at dinner on Wednesday, the girls all wanted to hear about your latest office drama." Allie laughed, "Yeah, the drama that got me sent four hundred miles away."

It was late when they got back. Susan stayed for a drink and Allie explained what had happened with Daniel before she left. Susan moved to hug her on the couch, "Allie that's sad, but he's right. He needs to sort his divorce and co-parenting out before he can start seeing anyone else. Do you really like him honey?" Allie chewed her lip thinking, "I really love Daniel. I'm not sure I'm in love with him, but I think I would end up there really quickly if anything were to happen between us you know?" She stroked Allie's hair nodding, "And Michael?" Allie rolled her eyes, "I'm not exactly his type am I?" Susan smiled fondly, "Michael has no idea what his type is. You know he admitted he was jealous when Daniel took hold of you at your office?" Allie shook her head, "I didn't." Susan continued, "And the reason he was at our house on Monday was because Nicole had heard the story about you kissing Daniel and couldn't wait to tell him. He was miserable. He cut her off you know, the day you guys were in court, won't have a thing to do with her or the other girl at your place. That's why she was furious with him even before he punched that guy." Allie sighed, "I texted him to clarify there was only hugging. We're having coffee in the morning." Susan, got up to put her mug in the sink. "I love both you guys Allie, all I'd say is give yourself a chance to get to know Michael. I've never seen him be like this around any girl." She nodded, hugging Susan and thanking her for coming to the airport.

The next morning she didn't bother exercising, as she'd overdone it in the hotel gym since there wasn't much else to do while she was there. She showered and put a cotton, cap sleeved dress on with a belted waist and some flip flops. It was a warm day so she didn't bother drying her hair. She made her way to the beach and spotted Michael already sitting in front of their block on the sand. He saw her approaching and stood up taking her hand and checking the bruises on her arm. He could see they had turned yellow, but they were still fairly vivid and he ran his fingers over them gently, sending a shiver through Allie. "They're fading" she said. He pulled her to sit down and passed her a latte. She muttered, "thanks" and smiled at him.

He grabbed a bag from his other side and handed her a cream cheese bagel. "Wow" she said, "This is like proper breakfast!" He grinned, "So how was the course?" She finished her first bite of bagel before replying, "Okay I suppose. Class actions, not the most exciting. To be honest it was kind of like being back in London, no-one was particularly friendly and I was a bit lonely." There was a pause while they ate before Allie asked, "How's everything at work? I know your boss was okay about it, but what about Nicole?" He shrugged, "She hates me which is absolutely fine. I've switched paralegals with one of the other partners which is working out pretty well for both of us." He paused grinning and took some of his coffee.

"So Bar Association dinner next Friday, you're going of course?" Allie groaned and Michael feigned shock, "It's the social highlight of the legal year, and you know what they say Allie, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" Allie piped up laughing, "and Allie a dull girl. I'm going. Got nothing remotely suitable for a formal event, so Susan and the girls are taking me shopping tomorrow." He laughed, "Those girls are living their fashion fantasies out through you." She finished her coffee, "Well I suppose I'd better make a move. I have exciting unpacking and laundry to do since tomorrow's a write off." He took the empty cup from her and put it in the paper bag with his own then grabbed her hand, "Hey, Allie from London. I want to get to know you better, and I want you to know me better." She looked at his blue eyes with her own darker ones and smiled, "Well in that case, for a start I'm not Allie from London, I just worked there. I'm actually a country girl. Now your turn."

He got up and pulled her to her feet looking more serious, "My Dad left when I was four and my Mom drank. Susan and John are the closest thing to family that I have." Allie felt the emotion of his revelation wash through her and she put her small hand in his as they walked back to the apartment.