Chapter 10

The rest of the week passed uneventfully. Allie was working on a case Daniel was originally going to take but had delegated. The lawyer for the opposite side was none other than Michael Stevenson, but neither Daniel nor Allie thought it would go to court. The case was relatively straightforward in their favour and involved a family business. Mediation seemed the most likely and desirable way forward, so Allie had been working on that with their client, the youngest brother in an Italian-American family called Vinny DeAngelo.

Daniel had tried to keep a little more distance from Allie, and this hadn't been difficult because he was juggling a bigger than usual caseload. Robyn was helping them both as Liam was on vacation and she was relieved to see he'd taken a step back. Unfortunately for Allie, less Daniel meant more Stuckey. Everyone thought he was harmless, but Allie had a sense of unease around him. He always engineered sitting next to her in associate partner meetings, and seemed to have a sixth sense for when she was leaving the office for court.

Max called Allie into his office for a check in on how things were going now she'd settled in. They chatted through the work she'd been involved in so far, and the plan to move to being increasingly independent from Daniel's oversight. Max talked about a couple of other cases she could get involved in, and touched on one Stuckey was leading. "I know you guys probably don't rate Stuckey, but you know he's a good lawyer and a good solid guy in general." Allie couldn't help but look less than keen, but couldn't come up with anything of substance to say to close down the idea of working on his case, other than saying he made her a bit uncomfortable. She didn't want to complain as such, because in truth he'd done absolutely nothing untoward.

By the time Susan's Friday night out came along, Allie was ready to lose herself in a few drinks and some fun with the girls, without thinking of anything law or office related. She walked 'round to Susan and John's wearing what she called her "styled by Tina" outfit since Tina had chosen it. It was a red and white print cross over dress, pinched in with elastic at the waist and ending just above her knee. She then wore a denim jacket over the top and tan heeled short boots. She'd managed to tame her hair into loose waves. As she walked in Susan squealed, "You look adorable Allie!" Tina came into the hallway, "See, I knew you would look amazing in that dress. Girl, if I had your figure I'd never be out of outfits like that." Allie grinned as she hugged them all, "I have to admit I wouldn't have dreamt of wearing anything like this in London, but then again I never went out anywhere."

The meal was fun and Allie found the rose wine they'd ordered loosened her up nicely after a busy week. They eventually settled the check and moved on to The Lighthouse for cocktails. The place was alive since it was a Friday, and there was music blaring which Allie eventually realised was karaoke. A couple of cocktails and some dancing in she was persuaded to jump up on the small stage with Carole who she discovered loved Karaoke.

To Susan, Tina and Julie's absolute amazement Allie started to belt out I love Rock and Roll like a professional. Emboldened by alcohol she just sang with abandon and no inhibitions, drowning out Carole's distinctly less tuneful efforts. When Michael walked in the bar with John and Carole's husband Larry, he looked for the girls and finding Susan she grabbed him and pointed to the stage. He literally couldn't believe what he was seeing and hearing. When it was over the bar erupted into cheering. Michael pushed to the front and stood in front of Allie who broke into a grin as she recognised him. As Carole clambered down from the stage, Michael reached up and lifted Allie down. Holding her close when her feet were back on the floor they began dancing to the guy now singing karaoke. John approached them with a tray of shots and the night wore on until Allie thought her feet might fall off, her head was spinning and Michael's arms were the only thing holding her upright on the dancefloor. Larry, Carole, Tina and Julie had left for home in one cab and John ordered them an Uber.

The car arrived quickly. John steered his unsteady wife out of the bar, and Michael had his arm around a very drunk Allie's waist in case she fell in a heap. Squeezing in the back seat between Susan and Michael, Allie announced, "Good grief, my feet hurt so much. I need to get these shoes off. Michael was highly amused, "Ok party girl, I can help you with that. Bending down to pull them off in the small space he pivoted her legs into his lap, "Look at the tiny Allie feet Susan!" John wheezed laughing from the front passenger seat. Allie closed her eyes and fell asleep on Susan's shoulder. Michael was still holding her shoes when they arrived at John and Susan's, and he reached into the car and carried Allie out. She stirred enough to wrap one arm around his neck, her other hand resting on his shirt and he followed them into the house. Susan turned and saw Michael carrying Allie, "Oh my god look at her John. Michael take her into the downstairs guest room honey, there's no way she can go home tonight."

He carried her into the room and Susan pulled back the comforter so he could lay her down. She left to bring a glass of water in case Allie woke. Michael lowered her gently and she immediately turned on her side, snuggling into the pillow. He put her shoes at the side of the bed and pulled the comforter over her. When Susan came back with the water and two Advil she found Michael sitting on the edge of the bed, brushing the hair back from her face. Drunk as she was Susan noticed the tender look on his face as he did it. She put the water and tablets down whispering, "I think she might need those in the morning." Michael chuckled softly getting up. Kissing Susan on the cheek he headed for the door to walk the couple of blocks home. "Night you guys" he said, and John shouted, "Susan, let me take you to bed before one of us falls over."