Chapter 25

Daniel drew up to the house to collect Emmie to drop her at pre-school. Standing in the fresh morning sunshine he rang the bell and Carrie opened the door. He hadn't even had a chance to say Hi before she began shouting, "When were you going to tell me you're screwing that British bitch Daniel. And don't try and deny it, look!" She was thrusting her phone with the picture from the Bar Association dinner in his face as he stepped back noticing Emmie watching TV in the background. He knew he sounded defensive but he couldn't help it. He fumbled for his own phone bringing the website up, "Carrie I'm not seeing Allie. She's in a relationship with Michael Stevenson, see" He turned his phone to show her the picture of Allie and Michael.

"Oh I know she's screwing him too, but I'm only concerned with you, my husband in case you've forgotten. You were seen kissing her Dan in the office for Christ's sake." He felt a wave of bitterness, "I'm not the one who had an affair, that was all you. And whoever told you we were kissing is lying to cause trouble, and I can guess exactly who it is." Carrie suddenly changed tack saying more calmly, "Yeah, well that was a mistake and now I want my family back." Daniel reeled, "What! Are you saying you want me back?" She shrugged, "Yeah, I'm prepared to forgive and try again." He'd hoped for this moment in the early days when she'd first kicked him out, and imagined he'd jump at any opportunity to give Emmie the chance to grow up with her parents living together, but something had changed and he knew in his gut he could never go there with Carrie ever again. Trying to respond without setting her off he chose his words carefully, "I think what we should focus on is getting to a good place as parents before we tackle anything else. I don't want Emmie growing up remembering this, you know?" Carrie's eyes narrowed, "Okay, we can work on that on condition you have nothing to do with that English bitch." Daniel looked exasperated, "Carrie, her name's Allie and I work with her so it's not possible." She turned and grabbed Emmie and her school bag, "You're a fool Daniel. She wants my family and I'll see her in hell before I let her have it." He took Emmie's bag and lifted her into his arms and headed for the car. He knew it was pointless to try and talk any more.

He parked at the office and met Max in the elevator. "Everything okay?" Max asked looking at him sideways. Daniel shook his head, "Just been to get Emmie for pre-school. Bad pick up." Max nodded in sympathy. "Get us coffee Dan then come through to my office, I want to talk to you."

Dan grabbed the coffees wondering what Max was going to say and headed to his office. He shut the door and put the mug in front of his boss. Max passed him a business card, "Dan, you can take my advice or not, but don't tell me this is none of my business because the staff here are my business. And you in particular are like family to me and Margie." Dan didn't comment. "I know you've tried to stand back and let things run with Carrie for the sake of that little girl, but you're beating a dead horse and it's only going to grind you into the ground. She's holding all the cards right now and you need to take back some control so you can move forward." Max pointed to the card in Daniel's hand, "That guy comes highly recommended. File the papers Dan. Get the ball rolling on a custody and finance agreement." Dan turned the card in his hand and muttered thanks before leaving.

Crossing to his office he met Allie coming back with some papers from Robyn's desk. She smiled seeing him, "Morning Dan." He smiled back and said gently, "Hey, are you okay after yesterday." She reached for his arm, "I'm fine honestly. First day was always going to be hard. Can I give you a shout later about the Wilkinson paperwork? I just want to check something before I go ahead and send it out." He gave her hand a squeeze,
"Sure, I'm free after ten so just shout when you're ready." Arriving back in his office Daniel closed the door and looked at the card. He reached for his phone and dialled.