32. Business Calls

Start from the beginning

Christian followed his grandfather to the door. Him and his grandfather picked up their coats from the coat stand at the door and made their way outside after putting their coats on.

Christian took his seat next to his grandfather and the chauffeur drove them as a line of cars followed behind their car and in front of their car.

The ride was long and Christian picked up a comic book to read from the storage back pocket of the front seat while his grandfather made conversation with one of his underbosses, Sedric who was sitting at the front next to the chauffeur.

As Christian was reading through the comic book he was also listening to his grandfathers conversation with his underboss. That was how he always was. He may have been busy doing something in his grandfathers presence but could do two things at once and listen to what his grandfather was saying too. His grandfather had two underbosses, Sedric and Shane. They were quite different and their areas of expertise were different. They both did training with him to strengthen him in different areas. Sedric trained Christian with fighting skills and Shane trained Christian in business and diplomatic skills. Christian preferred Shane to Sedric. Christian did not have a problem with Sedric. Shane was just more loyal to Christian compared to Sedric.

When Christian was younger, Shane was the one who let Christian's rebellious actions and mischief go unreported most of the time. He found his rule breaking ways amusing. But Sedric did not agree. Sedric reported every little offence that Christian committed to Christopher Kavannagh. Of course, for Christian that meant being condemned to being reprimanded by his grandpa. But now that Christian was much older he was better at covering his tracks and Sedric had not caught him doing anything wrong for a while now.

The conversation between his grandpa and Sedric came to a point that involved Christian.

Christopher Kavannagh said "So you are saying Christian is now able to shoot close range and long range with one hundred percent success rate consequently."

Sedric said "Yes sir. He is so talented in shooting just like any Kavannagh." Then he went on and on about how Christian was doing so well in every other aspect of the training he was in charge of.

Christian wanted to roll his eyes. But he refrained from doing so because he was in his grandfathers presence. His grandfather may have thought he was rolling his eyes at him and that was a very bad idea. Christian did not care for Sedric's compliments. He preferred it if the guy let him off the hook when he bended or broke the rules slightly in the most harmless ways. But again he could not blame Sedric. He was there to to obey the head of the kavannagh family who was Christian's grandpa. Christian wished Sedric could turn a blind eye to some of his harmless teenage rebellious actions that went against his grandpa's rules like how Shane did.

Christopher Kavannagh turned to Christian "It seems like you have impressed Sedric. That is hard to do. I have never heard him pay such compliments to anyone. You are a great fighter... Not only that. You are quite knowledgable when it comes to business too by the sound of it. Shane has also spoken to me recently how well you are doing with him too. You are exceeding expectations in terms of performance considering your young age. I am very proud of you and how you take your training that I set for you seriously. You are truly your fathers son. He also always was the top fighter and business man in my organisation and no one came close." He then leaned close and kissed the side of his grandson's forehead. "You are a strong heir. You are a true Kavannagh."

Christian turned to his grandfather "Thank you grandpa."

Sedric said "Sir, if you don't mind me suggesting, I think your grandson may benefit from focusing on assisting you with your work more from now on rather than spending so much time with before school and after school clubs that have nothing much to do with his education. He would benefit especially if he gave up baseball because it is taking so much of his free time when he has to attend training in addition to home and away games."