Chapter 6

So Ava has a brother.  I've never met her parents.  She says they're always gone for work or on vacation.  She always told me she was an only child like me.  Why would she lie? And what else is she lying about? Her brother was pretty hot though.  I don't think I'll mind him being around.  I just hope he doesn't lie like his sister. 

At the end of the day, Leo offers me a ride home which I'm thankful for because I'm just not sure I'm ready to see Ava.  As soon as we made it to his car and I grab the handle, I hear a low growl. And I could have sworn I heard "Mine".  What the hell? I turned quickly to see Xander. 

"What do you think you're doing?" Xander asked.

"Ummm, going home."  I replied, confused.

"With him?" He spat.

"Uhh, yes he is taking me home." I said, then shook my head, "Why am I explaining anything to you?" He looked upset more than angry now, and that kind of made my heart hurt a little.

"Just get in the car, Alice." Leo demanded. That caused Xander to growl from inside his chest.

"Stop being stubborn and get in." Leo said. Before I could say anything Xander jumped in.

"You don't talk to her that way!" He growled.

"And why is that? What are you going to do about it?" Leo said.

Xander stood there staring at Leo straight in the eyes. And if looks could kill, he'd be a dead man 10x over.

Now I don't know what to do. I am very stubborn. I don't like people telling me what to do. So I decide to just turn away and start walking home. After only a half a block, I hear foot steps coming up behind me. I closed my eyes and let out a sigh.

"Hey. Alice?" I heard the same sweet voice from lunch, but I wasn't sure I was ready to talk to him.  "I'm sorry about the way I acted."   I just nodded my head and kept walking.  He reached out and grabbed my arm and sent electricity through me.  Maybe he felt it too because he jerked his hand back to him.

After a few seconds I said,"I'm not sure what's going on.  The way you and Leo are both acting like you own me.  And I just found out my best friend has been keeping secrets." 

"I'm sorry about that.  I wish I could explain it, but I just can't right now."  He said with a sigh.  "Can I at least walk you home?  To make sure you get there safely."

"I'm a big girl, Xander.  I'll be fine.  But if you insist." I replied.  He doesn't seem so bad when he's alone.  He's neither cocky nor the asshole he seemed to be earlier. He even made sure he was the one who walked closer to the street. Could he be a gentleman? I giggled.

"What's so funny?" He asked.

"Nothing." I replied. "So what brings you into town?"

"Well I was only supposed to visit, but now I believe I might stay awhile."