Chapter Five

Alice's POV

When I woke up I checked my phone. Nothing from Ava. I tried to text and call a few times, but she never picked up. I got up, got dressed for school, and waited downstairs, but she never showed to pick me up. I grabbed my bag and started walking.  It was a nice morning so I didn't really mind. 

I was late though, so I stopped by the office, got a late pass, and went to class.  As soon as a sat down, Leo leaned over and whispered,"Are you ok? Where have you been? Did someone hurt you?" 

"Calm down.  I'm fine." I said.

"Don't tell me to calm down!" He said.

"Who are you? My father?"  I said as I looked at him through squinted eyes.

"No, but I'm your fia... uh friend.  I'm your friend and I was worried about you." He said. 

I just ignored him and looked to the front of the class.  Who does he think he is?  This is why I don't have friends. 

When the bell rang, I stopped by my locker before next period.  I had a sudden flashback of the guy with Ava yesterday.  Then I felt a tingle fall over my body like a blanket.  Working it's way down.  Lower, lower.  Oh my god, is this what it feels like? I closed my eyes and tried to steady my breathing. 

The hallway went silent,  then whispers started to float around.  "Who is that?"  "Why is he with Ava?"  I turned my head quickly to see.  And just as I did, Leo stepped in my frame of view.  "I'm sorry about that, Alice.  I didn't mean to sound rude." He said to me.  Annnnd just like that, the feeling was gone.

I'm not very experienced with boys and dating. I've went on the occasional double date with Ava. You know the whole 'bring a friend for my friend' thing. But they only wanted a hook up and that's disgusting. Boys are such pervs. I'm not experienced at all with sex. I've only imagined what it would be like. I pretty much expect to be alone forever, move to a loft, and be the weird cat lady that everyone is afraid of.

"It's fine, Leo." I finally replied after grabbing my books. "But seriously, you got to chill. You don't even know me."

"I'd like to know you." He said quickly. I let out a sigh and went to class.

I felt like I was in a daze during my next few classes. I was so glad it was lunch time. I went through the lunch line and made my way to Ava's and my usual table. Suddenly, I was rushed with the tingling sensation again. I rubbed my arms as if I was cold, but I could feel my body getting quite warm.

I was startled by Leo's tray hitting the table across from me. When I looked up to him, he looked angry. I followed his eyes to the door and saw Ava. Then the guy she left with walked in right behind her. I knew he was beautiful from the glimpse of him yesterday, but my god he is perfect. He locked eyes on me as they walked over. And I couldn't seem to break eye contact no matter how hard I tried.

Then Ava spoke, "Hi, Alice." And just like that I remembered I was mad at her.

"You left me yesterday! Then I had to walk this morning when you didn't show." I exclaimed.

"Well... funny story... My brother showed up, and we went to catch up." She said.

"Brother?!" Leo and I said in unison. I'm not really sure why he is shocked. He doesn't even know Ava, but that's not important right now. "You never told me you had a brother." I said.

Then he spoke,"She didn't? Hi, I'm Xander. How about you let me make it up to you for her." He stretched his hand out to shake mine, but I was stuck. I couldn't speak or move. My mind went to a thousand ways he could make it up to me and my cheeks set on fire. Now I'm the perv. What is happening to me, I thought as I started freaking out inside of my head.

"Over my dead body," Leo broke the silence.

"If that's what it takes," Xander said.

Then Ava cut in, "Calm down, you two. Ugh. Boys and their testosterone. Always fighting to be the alpha."