Chapter Two

Ava and I pulled into the parking lot just as the morning bell rang out. "Let's go, bitch! It's junior year!" She exclaimed and hopped out of her topless Jeep.
I rolled my eyes and smiled, "you're always so extra."
She smirked and hooked her arm through mine, and we walked into school.

When we walked into home room, all the boys started whistling and cat-calling. And the girls whispered to each other and turned up their noses. No doubt that this was all for Ava, and she loved the attention. She strutted confidently to her desk in the front of the room, swaying her hips with each step.

I hated to sit in the front, so I turned down the first row of desks and went all the way to the end. I like to be in the back of the room and out of the way.

"Hi, I'm Leo. I'm new here." I heard someone next to me say. "What's your name?"

"Oh great." I thought. I brace myself and look up. I glanced him over, he had shaggy, blonde hair and fair skin. And then I got caught at his eyes. They were the brightest green eyes I had ever seen.

"Um, hi. I'm Alice" I replied. And his eyes? Did they? Shimmer? No way.

He smiled and gave me a wink. I felt my cheeks heat up as I blushed. I hurried and turned toward the teacher at the front of the room. 

Mr. Evans passed out our schedules.  When he got to me, he said, "Alice, I noticed you and our new student here, Leo, have the same classes.  Please, give him a tour, show him his locker, and make sure he finds all of his classrooms."  

"You've got to be kidding me," I thought.  I looked to Leo, and he was grinning ear to ear like a kid on Christmas.  "Yes, sir." I replied.

The bell rang and everyone spilled into the hallways.  "Hey, Alice." Ava said.  "Let's see what classes we have together." We quickly compared schedules and we were shocked.  We had no classes together this year.  We've always had most of the same classes.  "Hmm, that's odd."  Then she noticed Leo who's been standing there the whole time.  "Hey, what's your problem?"  She said to him. 

"Oh, this is Leo.  He's new and Mr. Evans said I had to show him around."  I said to her.  Leo just grinned his stupid grin and waved.  I don't understand him.  He's just so eager, too eager.  It's just odd. 

Ava checked him out for a moment and it looked as if though she was thinking the same thing I was.  "Well, ok then.  Have fun with that and I'll see you later chick.  Bye!"  Then she walked away glancing back to frown at Leo. 

So here is your locker.  "Wow. Next to mine." I said unamused.  "Sometimes the combination doesn't work or they .. get.. jammed."  I said trying to hide the fact I was struggling to open my locker. 

"Here, let me try." He said, and I stepped aside.  He hit the locker with the side of his fist and it popped right open.  "Boom! Magic!"  He said with a wink and a laugh. 

"Um, thanks."  I said.  "Let me know if you need any help with yours."

"I think I got it,"  He said with a smirk and popped his locker open.  "Whoa, I've never had a locker before," he said quietly.  And looked at it as though it was the best thing. 

"Where did you come from?  The backwoods somewhere?" I said.  He looked at me wide-eyed and shocked.  Like he got caught doing something terrible.  "I'm only teasing. I'm sorry." 

"Oh.  No.  It's ok.  I've been, uh, homeschooled all my life.  It's been a dream to come to an actual school." He said. 

And now I see why he seemed so eager.  This is going to be a long day.  We went to our first 4 periods.  They weren't so eventful. And then it was lunch time.    We made our way through the line.  Barely.  Leo was looking at everything in such amazement.  I kept having to get his attention back.  Once we made it through the line and paid for our food, I said,"Ok, you can sit wherever you want and then we can meet up outside afterward." 

I went to the table Ava and I always sit at.  She was already there  shooing away anyone who tried to sit down.  "ALICE!  I miss you already!" She exclaimed. 

"I miss you too!" I replied.

"So how is it going with Leonard?" She asked.

"You mean Leo?" I corrected.  "It's ok.  He's so amazed by everything because he's never been to school.  Only home schooled."

I see her face twist.  "What? Being home schooled isn't terrible."  I said to her.

"No it's not that.  I think he's... walking our way."  She said with disgust.

"Ava, don't be like that.  You don't even know him. Try not to be so mean. It's his first day, he hasn't had a chance to make any friends."  I said.  She's a tough one.  She likes attention, but she doesn't like to know people on a personal level.

I hear a tray sit on the table to my other side, and I turned to see Leo.  "Leo, I said you could sit anywhere.  You don't have to sit with us."

"Yeah, I know.  But I want to sit with you.  This place is so awesome!"  He said not catching my hint.  So I just let it go. 

Ava scoffed and rolled her eyes.  "I'll catch you after school, Alice." She said.  Then she collected her things and walked out of the cafeteria. 

"Is she ok?"  Leo asked. 

"I don't know she's never done that.  But never mind, I'll see her later."  I replied.