Chapter 21: Samantha Peterson is My Girlfriend???

I don't know what it was.

Maybe it was the fact that it was December or that finals were coming. Or perhaps it was that I had just drank someone's blood unknowingly. My nerves were on fire. Being in this house alone while Victor was out hunting was some form of misery that I couldn't wrap my head around. As soon as he left, I got instantly sick in the toilet. My horror at having part of him inside me was suddenly pushed aside when a text from Samantha Peterson is my Girlfriend wound up on my phone. I sat on the bathroom floor and pulled my round, thin, gold-framed glasses back on. "What the heck?" Her text hung in the air like ice.

So, Phillip? I know last night was rough and all, but like, finals are next week, and you promised to study with me. When's a good time?

I leaned back against the bathroom cupboards. Honestly, there was no good time, especially not with Samantha Peterson is My Girlfriend looming over me. My hands shook as I typed back.

Maybe tomorrow around ten? I can meet you at the library?

The little dots that told me she was texting played across the screen. Uh, like no! I'm not going there! Besides, that creep Thomas Flattery...he showed up tonight when I tried to find you there...NOT GOING!!! Your house?

I whimpered. I don't think that's a good idea.

Why?! Why is it not a good idea?! Omg, do you have a girlfriend that you never told me about?! Or like, is Jenna going to be there, and that's why you don't want me over.

No, I don't have a girlfriend. Jenna's working tomorrow. I just think maybe a coffee shop or something would be better.

Give me your address Phillip.

I groaned. I couldn't fight with Samantha, but what would I tell Victor? If she was still here when he woke up? That would be really bad. His appetite for women and his distaste for Samantha in particular rung high. I begrudgingly gave her my address.

Thanks. By the way, I'll pick up breakfast and coffee. What do you like?

You're not my girlfriend, I internally groaned, yet her contact said she was. I felt like I was going to puke all over again. Once a girl like Samantha would have been precisely what I was looking for, but now? Now I didn't know.

Anything, I typed. Anything you want to pick up is fine. I have coffee here, so don't worry about it.

Not the point, she hurriedly texts back. Now tell me.

I put the phone down and started vomiting again. My stomach lurched from nervousness and Victor's blood, but somehow no matter how much I puked, the blood never came out. It was as if it had been speedily absorbed into my body, and there was nothing that I could do about it.

PHILLIP!!! my phone buzzed.

Just get whatever, Samantha. I'm not picky.

What's Jenna's number?

Why do you want her number?

So I can figure out what you like since you won't tell me.

Again, I begrudgingly gave it to her, too tired and weary of doing anything else. I made a mental note to ask her about Thomas Flattery tomorrow. She'd mentioned he bugged her at the library. I wondered if she noticed anything odd about his face, or if, as Victor said, he'd be mostly healed.

Thanks, Samantha dot, dot dotted me, and then nothing.

Welcome, I sat back again, sweaty, shaky. Wondering how and the hell I was going to tell Samantha that she wasn't my girlfriend and that I already had a...what did I have? A boyfriend? I laughed. Certainly not. Victor was...well, he was Victor. I couldn't really see him being exclusive to me. He was a vampire for one and a player for another. I knew he still frequented bars, still flirted with women. It was who he was. Part of the whole vampire thing. He couldn't change that, and I didn't expect him to. Who was he going to feed on? Me?