Chapter 14: Back Home

The second we got through the front door; Victor fell onto the couch. "After tonight, I do think I need to be more careful about where I take you. Downtown is far too dangerous."

He looked over at me, red eyes glinting in the dark of the room. I had forgotten to turn on even one light when we left. Now, well past midnight, Victor looked eerie in the dark. I was reminded of what he was for the second time tonight. The first time, I didn't want to think about. It made me feel things low in my body that I was trying hard to ignore.

"I could have told you that," I said flatly, folding my arms. "Everyone in Delaware knows what kind of trouble you can get into by going down there. You and I were there together, so the likelihood was not much. It's also just a lot worse for girls, as you saw." I pointed with my thumb at the door behind me.

Victor "hmmed" and then patted the couch. "Come sit by me, Phillip." He turned his ghostly pale face in the darkness towards me as he shifted over on the red sofa so that I could sit next to him.

I stood still, hesitating at the threshold before he prompted me to join him once again.

"I promise I won't bite," he said, grinning. I could plainly see the flash of his white teeth in the darkness of the room. My heart thundered loudly.

"That's not what I am worried about," I replied, forcing my feet to move. If I resisted too long, Victor would start to think something was wrong. He'd been in my house less than a week, yet the two of us had grown comfortable together. Then, just when I thought I could actually live side by side with a vampire in my house, Victor did the unthinkable. He'd kissed me.

Well, that's not true. Victor didn't really kiss me. His hand was in the way. That doesn't count, does it?

As I thought this, trying to rationalize my ever-growing dread as I came toward him, Victor reached out and grasped my hand as I sat down. Oh my god! I swallowed hard. My eyes went back and forth between his rapidly.

"You're warmer than before," Victor said, "the food has taken effect."

"It's most likely the alcohol," I said tentatively, "I drank too much. If I hadn't, you wouldn't have had to carry me halfway to the car."

I looked down sheepishly while Victor smiled down at me, "Oh, I have my suspicions as to why you drank so much," he said. I looked up, my eyes stopping at his mouth briefly before looking into his eyes. "Honestly, I probably shouldn't have played with you like that. It was wrong of me to do that to you. "

Victor started to laugh, and I sank more and more into the sofa cushions. I was aware that I was still in his poppy decorated shirt, my new jeans tugging a little too tightly in areas I had never had issues with before. Victor set my nerves on fire and my hair stand on end. How was I ever going to endure living with him for the rest of my mortal life?

Maybe I'd get lucky, and he'd be bored of me when I started to age.

Would I ever be able to get married? What if I wanted to bring a date home? Or for that fact, Jenna and Clark? While Victor had shown up as a cat the first time they came over since he's been here, I couldn't guarantee that would be the case forever. Eventually, they would catch on to someone else living in my house. Victor's clothes were on my parents' bed hanging out of a suitcase, for god sakes. Speaking of, when was he planning to put them away?

"I didn't want to impose," Victor said, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Huh?" I questioned.

Victor reached an arm around my shoulders, drawing me into him. My face grew hotter. "I didn't want to bother you with asking to put my clothes away."