Four

~FARAI~

My hands shook violently as I stood in the middle of the dimly lit room. There was one rectangular shaped window on the wall, and an open portal was right in front of me.

My task was to open a portal to my room, then close it. Easy enough. But I wasn't good at portals. I was able to open them every once in a while- close them sometimes...but not all the time.

No, I'm not good at portals. Not even good at magic. But I swore I'd try.

Half of my task was complete. After 15 minutes, a portal was opened. It was to the kitchen but that doesn't matter.

I just needed to close it. All I had to do was close it.

But I couldn't fucking do it.

"Come on Rai" I heard Strange say over the intercom, "I've seen you do this before"

"I got lucky that day" I groaned, raising my hands and attempting to close the portal again. It did the same thing it had been doing for the last 45 minutes- beginning to close then opening right back up.

"FUCK" I yelled, walking away from the portal.

"Don't get angry, Rai" I heard Strange's voice say. Wrong choice of words, because I only got more upset.

"I CANT JUST CLOSE A FUCKING PORTAL"

"It's okay, let's take a break" He says, trying his best to reason with me.

"I DON'T WANT A BREAK! I WANT TO GIVE UP"

"You can't give up Farai" The sorcerer says.
I could practically see the annoyed facial expression that he was most likely sporting right now.

I looked up, spotting the cameras and giving them the finger.

"Very mature"

I rolled my eyes and walked over to a corner. I leaned against it, staring at the damned portal. This was simple magic. Baby sorcerers could do this shit.

"You won't become a good sorceress if you give up" Strange said. I ignored him and stayed in my little corner.

After a second, he opened a portal in front of me and got out. He quickly closed the portal
I had failed to close but kept his open.

"Try and close my portal" He suggested.

"No thanks. I'm done. It's been weeks and I hadn't moved passed portals"

"We'll finish up with portals today. This is your last lesson. Tomorrow we'll go to telekinesis"

"I won't be here tomorrow" I said nonchalantly

"Bullshit. You said that the other day"

"I mean it this time"

"No you don't"

"Yes I do"

"You don't" He chuckled

"And how can you be so sure?" I challenged. Strange knew how to bug me- knew how to test my limits.

He crossed his arms and let out an agitated sigh, "Because you're homeless, alone, and too damn curious about your powers that you won't leave until you learn to control them"

I scoffed, clearly hurt by his words.

"Fuck you"

"You can curse at me all you want, but we're not leaving here until you close that portal. Then we'll move on tomorrow"

"You can't keep me here" I mumbled

"I'm not. You can leave this sanctum whenever you want to. But I know you, you're not keen to quitting." He shrugged

"Let me out"

"You know what, leave, Farai. The doors aren't locked."

He stepped out my way and watched as I stomped over to the door. I halfway expected him to protest- but he didn't. He just watched silently.

I felt this uncomfortable feeling spread through my body, urging for me to turn my ass back around and suck it up. I got this feeling every time I wanted to quit. I like to think it was mother's spirit.

At least, thats what I tell myself.

I stopped at the door and turned around.

I was embarrassed and pissed. He had a smug look on his face- and I wanted nothing more than to slap it off.

"Get back over here and close this portal" He said quietly.

I walked back over and raised my hands. I took a deep breath and made a circular motion with my right hand, making the portal disappear.

I stood there shocked while Strange scoffed.

"You are not a quitter. You don't let little stuff like this mess you up. You're stronger than that, Farai. Act like it"

He walked away from me but paused at the door. He turned around, staring straight into my eyes.

"Take a break tomorrow. But we start with Telekinesis the very next day."

I nodded

"Also.....don't ever let me see you break down like that again- not over something so small.
There are much bigger problems that deserve reactions like that. You understand me?"

"....I just got frustrated" I confessed

"I understand. But there are bigger problems. Remember what I said"

And with that, he left the room

________________________
Sorry for mistakes ❤️