PHOENIX:chapter 1

It's not much of a life you are living,its not just something you take its given .round and around and around we go.......hello readers guess which song this is......

CHAPTER ONE:

HAYAAT's POV

I heard dad's voice and I immediately rushed downstairs to get his briefcase, "gayyal ka afe ,kef idime?" (good evening,how was work?) I said, "afe sle kef inti?" ( fine, how are you?)he replied. I held his briefcase and kept looking around. Baba asked me if I was looking for something else and I said no but of course I was. Today is my birthday and I thought there might be a present somewhere for me. He looked tired so I just said it was nothing. Mum heard our voices and came downstairs to welcome dad. She served the food , and since it was my birthday I got to pick the dishes to be cooked. I started with my favorite fried yam and egg sauce. Who eats fried yam at night? yeah, just me, mum had to prepare semovita and egusi for the rest of the family . It didn't bother me at all. I really wasn't a fan of swallow so I just chewed my yam, drank my strawberry smoothie and went to bed.

The next morning mum woke me up by 5am to pray subh prayer(morning prayer) after praying , I took my bath and went back to bed. I loved sleeping in the morning although mum didn't like it, she's always giving me the "haka zakiyi a gidan mijinki"(that's how you'll behave in your husband's house) speech. I woke up by 7am, had my breakfast and went downstairs to wait for dad. He always took us to school but sometimes he leaves for work early and we have to go by ourselves. It used to be fun going all alone with my younger ones. I felt so matured during those moments.

Well back to the story; I sat at the front seat and dad said happy birthday Hayat ,my little baby tell me what you want for your birthday? he was just buttering me up because he forgot about it. Mum probably told him about it. I don't judge him, I know he is a busy man .I want a phone,I will be writing WAEC very soon so I think I am old enough to use a phone. I said, he smiled and said done. I could see my sister's face from the mirror, she had this look like "God! What the hell does Hayaat need a phone for? She is more religious than me I would give her that but I am a good girl too. Unlike her, I was popular in school not because I was nice or anything. People just seemed to like me. I had hobbies but she didn't .she was always locked up in her room like a prisoner. I read a lot of books and listened to music a lot. I loved life ,even if I know the world will end in doom someday,isn't it more of a reason to enjoy it as best as you can.
We got off at school and dad went to work.

School was boring as usual, truth be told I didn't like going to school. I just knew that my future kind of depended on it. Although ,going to school in Nigeria doesn't guarantee a future for you.I just had to do it.After all, how would I become a physiotherapist if I didn't? . I can't say being a physiotherapist is a long life dream, I picked a liking to it along the way. I always wanted to be an art student . Become a journalist, poet, musician ,writer, newscaster, I mean something that required more than just my knowledge of books. Art is beautiful.it is seeing the world in someone else's eyes.
But as they say, growth comes with change. I decided I would be a person who offers help to people and even that is a dream I look forward to achieving .

SADEEQ'S POV

I was on holiday so I started visiting my friends. Time is as swift as a wind, in a blink of an eye, the holiday would be over. I took my bath and started getting ready to go to Muhammad's house,I haven't seen him in a long time. I entered the gate and saw Muhammad with his brush, he must have woken up just now, Sadeeq! he said smiling my way, he always had a charming personality.

SORRY SIR he said while standing at ease ,I laughed and hugged him he was always silly, it felt good that he was still the same. "Sammako haka" (this early) he said.
I felt embarrassed but I purposely came by this time because mum cooked danwake ( a meal made with flour an eaten with pepper)and I don't like it and I know I will probably get some food here so I came early. We kept gisting and he asked if I knew that my uncle was out of town, of course I knew that was why I came to his house directly.

Breakfast arrived some minutes later, unfortunately for me I could not run away from my destiny, danwake again I asked?..Muhammad kept laughing ,he knew I hated danwake ,so I just joined him in laughing. He asked me if I was doing anything during my holiday and I said no, so he begged me to teach his sister Hayaat some lessons since she was preparing for WAEC and JAMB( High school final exams), I immediately agreed since I had nothing to do and it felt good to help my friend. Now that I think of it we weren't that much of friends just that my uncle rents a part of their building and whenever I came to visit,I would exchange greetings with Muhammad.. He was always friendly and I liked the way he carried himself, they were a well-to-do family compared to mine but he was so cool with me, I guess it was because of my uncle.

HAYAAT'S POV
No one told me I would be having WAEC lessons,I just came back from school and the next thing I heard was "go upstairs, pray and eat, your lesson teacher will be here in 40 minutes",ah ah which lesson teacher?; no one told me about this. I don't even like school and now I have to deal with home lessons .God!my life is so hard. I quickly stomped upstairs, prayed and came downstairs. My lesson teacher was waiting for me. I took more than an hour because I wanted him to get tired of waiting but wow if I had known he was this handsome I would have been here earlier...Who said I didn't like school? my God! I loved it. He introduced himself as Sadeeq and said his uncle rents a part of our house and we will be dealing with the important subjects like: Maths, Biology, English, blah blah blah; I didn't hear the rest I was busy checking him out...He was not that tall, it didn't matter, his face was so cute that it was all I could think about. He was fair, with his tiny eyes and flat pointed nose. I didn't know how to describe his nose because it was strange, it was pointed by the side but a bit flat at the front and he had curly hair. He must be fulani I thought or shuwa but there aren't many shuwa in Kano state so I will bet on fulani.. Today was basically an introduction and instruction day for him but for me it was different. Learning was going to be fun now that I got a cute teacher.