Chapter 22 - Fifth Date

Start from the beginning

"Why don't we share?" I feel excited about trying another dish.

"Do you really want to do that?" She watches me with curiosity.

"Yeah, why not?"

"My mother would be horrified at the idea," she chuckles.

"My family does it often. We each order something different and split it. It ends up becoming a buffet."

"I'm all for it. I don't think I can eat that whole pizza in one sitting anyway," she grins and her face looks even more familiar than before.

The server brings our drinks and takes our order. We spend the time sharing little comments and assumptions about the people around us or passing by outside. While taking off her scarf to hang it from the chair, I notice something. A few strands of dark hair escape the edge of what I now realize is a wig.

"Uhm, Emma, you need to pull your hair a bit at the front."

Her eyes widen when she figures what I mean and she stands up. Before she can gather her things to leave, I hold her hand and look at her flustered face.

"Grayson? Diane's cousin? We met at their wedding on Valentine's."

Emma, or Grayson, sits back on the chair and looks mortified.

"Please don't raise your voice," he says in the tone he used when I met him. "Many people know my mother, but they don't know this side of me. She's okay with most of the things I do, but people aren't as kind."

"Okay, wow, this is a surprise. I need a minute to understand what's going on."

"I can leave. Like I said, I wasn't even sure my letter would get picked."

"No, not at all," I lower my voice and make sure no one is eavesdropping. "Please stay. Why didn't you write as yourself?"

"The call said it was for women," he shrugs. "You should know that on the wedding night, I heard those three bitches plotting how to ruin you. They were drunk and seemed horny, so I assumed they wouldn't go through with it once they were sober. I was wrong. My mother noticed me looking at you the whole night. She told me to talk to you, but I didn't know how to. Do you imagine how awkward it would be for a guy to approach you while at the DJ booth just to have a chat?"

"I would have liked that. It can be lonely. Luckily, my siblings or Didier come by from time to talk or bring me food."

"I felt happy enough with our small encounter in the bathroom. This does not freak you out?"

"It doesn't. It's been a while since I've been out on a date with a guy. Or a girl? I'm not sure what's the right thing to say."

"Today you can call me Emma. Don't know if Diane told you anything about me."

"No, she didn't. Your makeup is beautiful, Emma. Did you do it yourself?" I ask, and she nods. "And your mom knows about this?"

"She does. It's the two of us, so naturally she's protective of me. I work as a makeup artist under an alias because my family name comes with history. I want people to appreciate my work and not think that I have someone sponsoring me to gain a follow or get jobs."

"I understand. We were raised to be independent and find our own path. I guess the wedding bug bit us at a certain moment and we ended up working in the sector like my mother does, but we already had careers by then."

"Thank you for not making a big deal out of this. I appreciate it. Now, if you excuse me, I need to go to the bathroom to get my hair in place. The ladies one this time."

Emma walks in the direction of the bathrooms and I'm glad I get a moment by myself to digest what just happened. I take a large gulp of my beer and accept that even though is the most unusual date, it feels kind of right.

"Jimmy Morgan..."

Blue hair, smoky eyes and a grin greet me as I find Lexy next to me.

"Lexy! How are you? What are you doing here?" I stand up to give her a hug.

"All is fine. Enjoying the last free days before going back on the road for some marketing appearances. I'm still waiting for your call to discuss the music for our wedding."

"Yeah, it's been mad busy. I'm really sorry. I promise I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

"I heard about the dates. Are you okay? Is it true you had to sort through letters on the day we were at the station."

"Yeah, the dates have been fun. I've met lovely ladies. And yeah, the amount of letters I had to go through was unbelievable."

I look in the direction of the bathrooms and see Emma coming back. As a man, he's handsome, but right now, in his women's clothes and makeup equally beautiful. Lexy follows my stare and smiles.

"And so to see, I'm interrupting one."

"Lexy, this is Emma," I look from her to Emma and back.

"A pleasure to meet you," she offers a hand that Lexy shakes.

"Emma is a makeup artist," I say.

"Your makeup is amazing. Will you be available to do my wedding makeup?" Lexy says while inspecting her flawless face.

"I'm sure we can arrange something," Emma says as she pulls a business card from her purse. "Keep it to yourself."

"Oh my god! You are... Gael from Rogue Beauty," Lexy says in a whisper, but can barely contain her excitement. "Kitty, our tour makeup artist, is always talking about you."

"I'm glad to hear that."

We say goodbye to Lexy, who heads straight to the kitchen where they seem to have an order ready for her and Emma and I continue our date.

"I would like to do her makeup for the wedding. She's beautiful."

"And so are you."

Emma blushes and the natural shade competes with the powder on her cheeks. Our food arrives and we share portions of it. We eat heartily while learning a bit more about each other and I'm sure that I would like to have a second date, maybe more.