4.11

[4.11]

Travels

"Can I see it?"

Rae looked up at the soft voice even though she couldn't see the one that spoke. She felt her mother take a seat next to her on the saddle and leaned her body slightly on Lin. Even though the two women hadn't had a proper conversation ever since Lin expressed her knowledge about her engagement, Rae still found herself leaning in her mother's hold.

"What?" asked the woman, clearly not understanding what her mother meant.

"The ring," cleared up Lin, "can I see the ring?"

The Guardian's head fell and she raised her left hand. With her right, she slowly took off the black leather gloves that shielded the ring from everyone's prying eyes. When Lin's gaze fell on the golden ring, the radiant shaped ruby shining in the light, her hard features turned soft. She gently took her daughter's hand in her own and brought it closer to her face, her deep green eyes examining each detail of the ring.

"I can't believe the Fire Lord will be the mother-in-law of my daughter..."

A small smile took over Rae's features at her mother's words. But Lin continued to voice her thoughts out loud.

"I can't believe my kid is marrying the next Fire Lord... Does this mean I'll have to stand Toph and Zuko arguing at family dinners?"

The younger woman let out a small giggle. Bolin's ears seemed to pick up at Lin's mutters and he came a little closer to the two women, listening to their conversation.

"Aren't you mad I didn't tell you?" asked Rae quietly.

"Fire Lord Izumi realized I found out after what happened in the conference room," said Lin with a shrug, "she told me it was her idea to keep it hidden until things calmed down in the Earth Kingdom."

Rae nodded slowly. "Still," she started, "I should have told you..."

Lin shook her head and place her daughter's hand back in her lap, "It was bound to happen," she said with a shrug, "he's been whipped over you since you were teens."

To Bolin's shock, who was watching the interaction intrigued, Lin brought her hands around Rae's shoulders and pulled her in a hug. His eyes went wide and he quickly raised his hand to his mouth, stopping the loud gasp that almost escaped his throat. When the chief pulled away from the hug, she was wearing a big, proud smile on her face.

"I can't believe it," whispered Bolin, leaning closer to Opal, who was flying the bison, "Rae's getting married and Lin just hugged someone with a smile."

The young airbender widened her eyes and pulled the reins of the bison in shock, making the animal turn unexpectedly to the right. Rae's dull eyes widened and she grabbed the saddle beside her as Lin turned to Opal and Bolin with a scowl on her face.