3.2

[3.2]

Zaofu

Time flew quickly.

Soon, Rae got word that the avatar arrived. She didn't go to greet her, only remained on the familiar ground of her family's estate. A few hours after her arrival she paid Opal a visit. They talked almost all night about bending, and Rae found out just how exited her little cousin was.

The new airbending girl tried to convince Rae to get her cuts checked out, but the woman didn't want to visit a physician. However, Opal obliged Rae to let her wrap her cuts. She cleaned them carefully before dinner and fixed the one on her face. It wasn't healed, but nor was it bleeding or risking an infection anymore.

After a tiring game of power disc with Wing and Wei and a session of contemplation of life's meaning with Huan and his sculptures, Rae found herself sitting next to a relaxed and reading Opal, waiting for Korra to show up.

"Rae, she will be here when time comes," started Opal with a soft voice, "you don't need to tap your foot every five seconds."

Rae immediately stopped and brought her feet underneath her. It wasn't the most comfortable position as her heels were almost stabbing her thighs, but it allowed Rae to fall into a relaxed state. She didn't feel any vibrations anymore, her seismic sense not being able to be set off.

"You look very good today, Rae," complimented Opal, not raising her head from her book.

The woman's head fell to her lap, as if she was looking at her clothes, even though she couldn't see her outfit. She wore a very elegant dress, with metal details at her wrists, waist, neck, and collar bone. The rim of the dress that fell to her feet was as well ornamented with metal, making the piece of clothing fall gracefully around her ankles. Rae thought it was a great addition because the metal made the fabric hang, allowing a fight without having to worry about your skirt rising a little too high.

"You chose the dress, Opal," muttered Rae, crossing her arms over her chest, "of course you would say that."

The girl only hummed in agreement, but Rae could feel the small smile she had on her face. Suddenly, she heard a multitude of steps coming their way and she froze. She didn't move from her seat, her back turned to the newcomers, and waited to see what was to be said.

"And this is my daughter," said Su, "Opal."

"Wow, Avatar Korra," started Opal in awe while placing her book down, "I can't believe your really here. You are so amazing."

Rae decided to get up when she heard Korra talk, but the moment her feet touched the ground, she froze. There weren't just five pairs of feet on the ground as she expected. She didn't need to recognize Korra's, Su's, and Bolin's footsteps because of their talks with Opal. Rae guessed Mako and Asami were there too, but the two other pair of footsteps were awfully familiar.

"Great, we found the airbender. Let's take her back to the airship and get out of here."

The Guardian's eyes widened and in a matter of seconds, she rose and approached Opal. "Mother?" she asked surprised. It was a big shock to find Lin Beifong in Zaofu. Ever since Rae trained and lived there, she had been trying to convince her mother to at least try and talk with Su, but it never worked. She even tried to get her to visit, but Lin didn't want to.

Lin's eyes widened slightly too before she narrowed them. Iroh himself was surprised by her presence. He was quite useless around Team Avatar and Lin, but he understood that the reason his father required his presence wasn't for Korra, it was for Rae.

"And the woman apparently trying to abduct you is your aunt Lin," said Su.

Opal was flooded by happiness, which Rae's felt it when her heart skipped a few beats. "Really?" she asked enthusiastically, "I've always wanted to meet you. My mom and Rae have told me so many stories of you."

Su ignored Lin's muttering, "So I've set you all up in the guesthouses while Korra trains Opal."

Korra, taking her eyes off Rae, turned to Su, Opal and Lin. "oh I'm sorry, but I was hoping she could train with the other airbenders at the northern temple."

"That sounds amazing!"

"Nonsense. This is where Opal's home and family are! You can train her here."

Rae sighed when Lin started disagreeing with the idea. She put a hand on Opal's shoulder when she felt the overwhelming feeling that she didn't quite agree with her mother's words.

After the conversation ended on a note to Zaofu's safety and an invitation to dinner, Korra left with Opal to show her the basics of airbending. Lin gave her daughter a pointed glare that she woman didn't see before leaving the grounds. Mako, Bolin and Asami all smiled at Rae before they left, escorted to their chambers by one of the guards. Iroh was the only one that remained with her, and Rae recognized the pattern of his footsteps immediately after he started walking towards her.

He stopped in front of her, and Rae could feel his breath on her forehead. He gently rose his hand and touched her cheek, where her famous cut gazed her skin. Rae rose her head, her dull and unseeing eyes meeting the beautiful amber of his own.

"Did she do it?"

The woman nodded slowly, her throat emitting a low hum of approval. She heard Iroh sigh, and a small smile appeared on her lips when she felt him lean in. There was no one to interrupt the kiss, not Lin or the pressure of time. The kiss was soft and tender. His hand remained on her cheek pulling her closer to him. They pulled apart at the same time, together.

"What are we?" asked Iroh, his hand traveling to the back of her neck and pulling her in a delicate embrace. Rae placed her head on his shoulder, her hand resting on top of his uniform, relaxing at the familiar rhythm of his heart.

"Whatever we want to be."

~