2.12

[2.12]

Spirits & Nightmares 

"Korra?! Jinora!"

The scenery change came so quickly that Rae didn't have time to process what was happening. From the beautiful fields full of life, she ended up all alone in a spooky and dark forest, looking for Korra and Jinora.

"Where are you?"

Rae was starting to panic. Her hands were visibly shaking and whispered rang through the forest, making her twist and turn her body hoping to see someone. She ran to a small puddle, hoping to splash some water on her face to wake herself up but she froze at the sight.

Her reflection wasn't quite hers. It was Rae, yes, but a younger Rae. She stared at her nineteen years old self with a frown. Her eyes were more joyful, her face was brightened up by a big smile. If current Rae would smile like that, she left like the muscle in her cheeks would tear.

But the reflection soon changed. At the sight of the woman, she backed down with a yelp. The jet-black haired woman was staring at her darkly. Her eyes were full of pride and amusement as her body appeared in front of Rae.

"Did I hurt you dear?" asked the woman in a taunting voice. Her arms were missing and in their place were two long water tendrils. "Say hi to Rae," chuckled the woman while looking at her makeshift hands, "they missed you, Rae."

"You're not real," whispered the girl in a trembling voice after closing her eyes, "you're locked away and I'm in the spirit world... you're not real!"

The woman laughed loudly but her voice soon disappeared. When Rae opened her eyes, she was all alone. She looked at her hands, still scarred. She ran to the puddle and looked at herself, she wasn't younger anymore. She looked up, and the woman had disappeared, evaporated from her sight.

Her body limply fell. Sobs tore through her body as the face of the woman appeared endlessly in her mind. She didn't know how much time passed. She never knew in the spirit world.

"Rae! What are you doing here?"

Her body jolted upwards at the voice. She raised her head and she saw an oddly familiar man.

"Korra was looking for you," said Iroh (the first Iroh) while helping the woman to her feet.

"General Iroh?"

The man laughed at her question. "That name has been borne by someone else for a long time now," he said with a small wink, "lets got, Korra just left!"

He dragged Rae by the arm until they were out of the dark forest. The woman was too stunned to speak. Her eyes were fixated on the man, having heard stories, and having seen many portraits of his around the Fire Lord's home. She just never thought that she would get to see him, even if it was just his spirit form.

Once they were out of the forest, they stopped in front of a big, winged creature. Iroh paid no attention to it as he turned to look at Rae.

"That woman," he said, making Ming-Hua's face flash again before her eyes, "caused you great suffering. But, with time, you have grown to overcome it! Now, you need to do the same in her presence!"