Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

A mistake. One tiny action that led to this big of a mess. If they could just take back what had happened that day-

Wait a second.

One, tiny mistake?

"Foster? You good there? You seem a little dead in there." Keefe asked, waving a hand over Sophie's face. She blinked.

"I remember that human boy telling me that he got this vision after seeing a wolf... Could that have something to do with this?"

Everyone was quiet at first, thinking. But then, it was Veta who spoke with a strained, hoarse voice.

"Of course, Sophie." She whispered. "I know that person. That devil." Her fist was clenched so tight that it turned white. "She's a shapeshifter. She's the reason of Emery's opinions on elves with the Forgotten Abilities. Yes, I know, I'm sorry I didn't tell you that part." Tears were welling up in Veta's eyes. "Of course, it's her. I remember her telling me, "Wouldn't it be nice if the humans and elves got in a fight?" And I thought she was ridiculous at the time, but she was so set on the idea that..." Her voice cracked, and she cleared her throat. "I could've stopped this all from happening. It's all my fault."

"No, it's not." Natt said in a firm voice. "You aren't a foreteller, and no one is good enough to know exactly what is going to happen."

"Oh! So this was what Eve was talking about." Tears poured down Veta's face. "The most ridiculous thing you've heard from the one you fear will happen. Beware. I remember Eve telling me that, when I asked her to predict the future for me. I should have known. This is all my fault. My goddamn stupid fault. Shit!"

"Maybe it'll be best if you all go." Natt told Sophie and her friends. They all nodded.

"So, this was unexpected." Mr. Forkle said. "I think the best thing we should all do right now is to get some sleep and-"

Sophie fumbled in her cloak and took out a leaping crystal. "No. I've got enough sleep for a lifetime."

"Wha- Miss. Foster?" Mr. Forkle asked, flabbergasted.

"Yes, Forkle? I'm twenty-five years old, and I am not going to be bossed around by people." She snapped.

"Sophie, can you tell us where you're going first?" Grady asked.

"Forbidden Cities. Research." She simply said.

"What?! Are you out of your mind?" He yelled.

"Possibly." Sophie shrugged.

"At least take me with you." He begged, but Sophie was quicker. She brought her crystal up to the light and let it whisk her away -- but not before she felt something grab onto her ankles.

...........................................................................................

Sophie fell onto the ground in a heap, looking around wildly to see what had gotten on her ankles. It would be a lie to say she was surprised that it was a person rather than a thing. No, not a person. Two people.

"What in the world are you two thinking?" Sophie yelled, glaring at Fitz and Keefe. They both shrugged.

"What were you thinking, Sophie?" Fitz asked. "Trying to disappear like that! It is a habit that you really need to stop, because you can get us all in trouble! I am really dissa-"

"So, Foster," Keefe cut in, "lead the way! Hell, it's been a while since we did this. I missed this so much. Things were too simple and booooooooring when you were gone."

"We need to be quiet, because we still have on elvin clothes-"

"Foster, yours is all sparkly and fit, I doubt humans would mind-"

"And I'm guessing Fitz can't speak the English-"

"Sure I can! I know a couple words like pulchritudinous, consanguineous, myrmecophilous, and embourgeoisement."

"Uh... whatever they are, you hardly ever use those words in regular conversation, so will you all stop talking? We're attracting attention."

Sure enough, mostly everyone on that block was staring at the three elves with narrowed eyes and confused looks.

"Hart? Hart!" An excited voice said. "Christ! Is it really you?"

Sophie turned to see Fin, her old colleague, beaming at her.

"Oh my god! Fin!" Sophie exclaimed, hugging her old friend. "It's been so long!"

"I thought you went to England to study further to become a professor of medics, but well, are you here to come back to the hospital? It's been a mess since you were gone."

Sophie laughed awkwardly. "Heh, sadly no. Everything with the... elves and stuff have been weird, you know? I was hoping to hear stories of it here... and I also want a word with the boy who saw the vision first."

"Embourgeoisement!" Fitz shouted, trying to distract Sophie from Fin. He had an odd gleam in his teal eyes -- it was possessing. Was he... jealous?

"Excuse me, what?" Fin asked Fitz.

"Myrmecophilous!" Fitz repeated, apparently catching onto the fact that Fin was talking to him.

"Fitz, please shut up." Keefe muttered. "And, um, you," he pointed to Sophie, "need to introduce us to them! Starting with yourself. What did this guy say your name was?"

Oh. Right. Fin still thought her name was Emma Hart. It was a miracle that Keefe hadn't said Foster and called her 'you' instead.

"Hart, are you okay?" Fin asked. "Did you hit your head or something and lose your judgement of people? Because currently, you are hanging out with a guy who can't talk."

"Pulchritudinous." Said Fitz.

"And a guy who doesn't even know your name. And you are all dressed up as if you went to a circus or something -- a fancy one."

"Excuse me?" Keefe demanded. "If anything, you're the one who doesn't know her name."

"What do you mean?!" Fin yelled.

Sophie sighed. "Guys, follow me."

This was going to be a long day.

Thanks for reading!

SilverFox out.